Succop Says KC Timeout Helped (Not The Practice Swing)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RealestWhiteBoy, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealestWhiteBoy

RealestWhiteBoy World Champion

Succop says that he didn't like the way his plant foot or the field was feeling, but with no timeouts the ball had to be snapped ... we all saw it fall quite a few yards short.

There's always talk about the practice swing, and that is a true thing ... he said that he did realize he needed to put 100% of everything he could into the kick after it fell short. But what the timeout actually did was allow him to re-tie his shoe on his plant foot and find a better spot for the ball, which he credits for the make.

However, this begs a question in my mind. He had to have been taking numerous practice swings into the net once we stopped them on 3rd down ... so, how did he not realize then that his shoe was tied too loosely?

2. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Probably had more to do with the field conditions and how he felt after the miss. He said he knew he needed to tighten his shoe to give it all he had.

Icing the kicker rarely ever works. Reid knows that. I think KCs kicker even said that he's told to always kick the "practice kick" when a timeout is called to get a feel for the kick.

It doesn't make sense to give a kicker 2 shots at a kick. Tennessee was in a hurry to get the kick off in the first place which made the timeout even more ridiculous in that situation. It just gave Succop time to think about it and knowledge on how he needed to kick it on the second try.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. RealestWhiteBoy

I told my bud that I was surprised they put Succop back out because it was short and 5 seconds left. So, I thought they would've ran a quick out to try to get 3 or 4 yards closer for him.

But I'm glad it all worked out. Haha

Stats show its virtually the same percentage of ice vs not iced. So, I agree, it's a redoculous thing.

4. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I don't know the stats on it, but it seems like it usually backfires if the first kick misses. Most of the time though it's 2 makes anyway. Rarely is it a make then a miss. (I think I read Washington actually got iced on 2 attempts this week though. Rare occurance)

5. RealestWhiteBoy

Really? Before halftime and before the end of the game? Because NFL doesn't allow back to back timeouts, do I guess that'd have to he the case? I didn't watch MNF,though ... so, not sure.

I don't know the stats, either ... NBC said they "basically the same" percentage wise, but didn't give the numbers.

6. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I misread it. I just ran across the comment again on PFTs comment section. Washington's kicker got iced 2 times this season. Once by the opposing team, which he hit the first and missed the second, and once his own coach called timeout and he missed the second kick.

From what I've seen, he's struggled anyway...so the timeouts might not have had a lot to do with it.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Icing worked back before it was expected so much.

Then after a while it worked better to not ice since kickers always expected to get the TO. Now it's a crapshoot.

8. Na$hville

Na$hville Veteran

Literally told my girlfriend this first kick doesn't matter they will ice him. The 2nd kick I was kinda iffy about because I thought they might do it again but when they called the game I started fist pounding and screaming.

9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I was initially pretty upset it took us so long to spike the ball. I think we could've done it about 3 seconds sooner... that would've allowed for one more play as long as it went safely to the sidelines or thrown away.

Luckily it all worked out in the end.

10. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Succop adding insult to injury lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar