Strength of Schedule

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thaddeus43, Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

So, after watching Dal beat SEA yesterday I started thinking about our schedule thus far. It has turned out MUCH harder than anyone on here expected before the season. I am not trying to make excuses for our record or play (which has looked pretty bad) but maybe we aren't as bad as we think and part of the issue is that we are playing good teams.

KC (2-3) - This was a game that most people (on here at least) expected us to win, and we beat them week 1 in impressive fashion (granted they were down several key players), but since then they lost to DEN (a superbowl favorite) by only 7, beat MIA easily , DESTROYED NE, and lost to a solid SF team by only 5 points.

DAL (5-1) - Most people on here were predicting an easy win, but even before that game I was saying that Dal was better than what most were giving them credit for. Since losing the game to SF week 1 (where Romo had a terrible 1st half) they have won 5 straight games including a win over the superbowl defending Seahawks

Cin (3-1-1) - Cin was deemed a SB contender by most, and I don't think many gave us much hope to beat them

Ind (4-2) - Again, everyone knew it would be a tough game as they are the team to beat in the AFCS

Cle (3-2) - This just may be the surprise team of the NFL this year, and this is a game that we really should have won. CLE is 3-2 with their only losses being to Pit by 3 and Bal by 2 (5 total points). Not to mention the fact that they just destroyed Pit yesterday.

Jax (0-6) - Yeah they suck

Combined our opponents record is: 17-9-1 (if you discount Jax), It really looks like right now that 4 of the 6 teams we have played could be PO teams.

Anyway, my point is, had we know before the season started how good some of these teams would be, then our expectations for this team would probably be at about 2-4 right now ... most of us just assumed that Dal and Cle would be pushovers and we would be looking at 4-2, but that just wasn't the case after all.

What sucks though is, a lot of the teams on our schedule that we thought would be bad, are actually pretty good ... but none of the teams that we thought would be good ended up being bad.

So looking at the rest of our schedule, I see about 3 more wins (all 3 of which would probably come in the last 3 weeks when Mett is starting lol)

WAS (1-5) - 50/50 chance of winning
    Hou (3-3) - loss
    Bal (4-2) - loss
    Pit (3-3) -loss
    Phi (5-1) - loss
    Hou (3-3) - loss
    NYG (3-3) - loss
    NYJ (1-5) - win, they suck and we must beat CJ
    Jax (0-6) - win, although we might lose to give Jax their only win of the season lol
    Colts (4-2) - win, Colts will be resting players perhaps?

still should be good enough for a top 10 pick

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Did Houston bench Fitzpatrick? If not, we have a good chance at him winning the game for us.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

What's the common denominator of the bad teams we've played that appear better than we thought they'd be?

Right- they played us. Come back to this topic when we've beat a team with a winning record.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

True, but I looked at all the games they played outside of us as well.

KC - We thought they were bad (and we actually beat them), but they looked MUCH better in the following weeks when they put the beat down on NE and MIA, If anything the Titans made them look bad.

DAL - we thought they would be bad, but they are 5-1 and just beat SEA ... I don't think they 'look good' just because they played us

CLE - Again, they look much better than we though, not just because they played the Titans, but because they have only lost 2 games by a total of 5 points and just destroyed the Steelers.

I'm not saying the Titans are good, I am saying that the schedule is much harder than we all thought it would be. And that has nothing to do with our opponents wins against us, it is looking at everything else they have done so far this year

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

"Surprise team" or not, there's zero excuse for blowing that kind of lead in the 2nd half. Unless you're talking about Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, etc. on the other sideline, a collapse like that is absolutely inexcusable.

And I tried to warn everyone before the Cowboys game. But most everyone was all "LOL yeah right, Dallas is one of the worst 5 teams in the league".

Indy is pretty good, and Cinci and Dallas might both be top 5 teams in the entire league. Still, we should at least be competitive. Decent teams don't get flat out embarrassed 4 weeks in a row. We suck.

The Browns game is really what crushed my spirit. It was the BROWNS. Yes they are on an upward trajectory (thanks in large part to us), but still they aren't anything special right now. If it weren't for that game then maybe I'd be able to get on board with this "maybe we aren't so bad after all" sentiment that's bubbling up right now. But I just don't see it.

3 absolutely embarrassing blowout losses.
    1 epic collapse of record-breaking proportions.
    1 narrow victory over the worst team in the league.
    1 decisive win against an average team that was completely decimated by injury and suspension.

Tough for me to spin that as anything other than we are a very, very bad football team.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Steelers have been joke for a few years now.

And no team in the AFCS has a hard schedule. This is a cupcake division.

7. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I dont really care. We have to beat the good teams too. Losing against really good teams doesnt make me feel any better, tbh.

8. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

It's the browns game that is giving all the fans an awful perspective on the team, myself included. That and we barely squeaked out a win against the freakin jaguars. Our schedule is still weak IMO and I don't think the texans are as good as their record indicates. We could mess around and accidently go 7-9 and screw ourselves again this year.

9. Oilers27

Oilers27 Starter

The steelers suck this year....we have a good chance of winning that one....

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

no the Titans dont

the players could not care less that its 'Steeler Week' and BWW will spend the whole day star gazing into Tomlins dirty dancing eyes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar