Still not sold on Vince Young????

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Sta-Chisle, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sta-Chisle

Sta-Chisle Guest

I was very immpressed with the Rose Bowl(who wasn't), but I still don't feel comfortable with taking Young with the 3rd overall pick. If we are going for a QB in the first round I'd opt to trade down for possibly more pick(s) and draft Jay Cutler.

My first post holla!!!!!!Reppin the Air Force. Langley AFB stand up!!! We here!!!

2. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

yo man, im in norfolk so that makes like 4 titan fans in hampton roads now...

but this is how i feel about vince and im not just some guy basing it on his rose bowl performance, this guy i beleive is a franchise QB and a player you can't pass up...

3. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

My sentiments exactly. I want to draft a great QB, not a great athlete. If we do draft Young and once the honeymoon is over, we'll end up reevaluating that decision. Young is exciting, there's no doubt about that... but theres a reason he plays in the shotgun on every play. Up til half way through this season... his own coaches didn't even think he would succeed at the next level playing the QB position.

4. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Hey Sta..............Welcome to the Titans board.
    I'm not completely sold on Vince myself. If it's between Leinart and Vince, I would still go after Leinart. At the beginning of the season I wrote a post about the possiblity of going after Vince and it was not met with any positive notes. Nothing positive until the Rose Bowl. Is Vince another Ryan Leaf or a Carson Palmer? Excuse me while I consult my crystal balls.
    ________
    YAMAHA YZF750 HISTORY

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

He IS a great quarterback...

Scramblers have and always will do better than pocket passers. Why you ask ? Because being able to run > not being able to run. Point blank. As long as you don't try to run over linebackers, there is nothing wrong with running the ball at all... A first down is a first down imo.

What is a good quarterback ? This is my list of qualities...

1. Decision making (best I've seen besides maybe Jacobs, whom I've only seen play once... but his TD/INT ratio was impressive)
    2. Can he make the throws ? (the jury is still out, but he has impressive zip. You don't see Texas throwing many deep balls though)
    3. Has he shown the willingness to improve (he has made two huge leaps each year he has played at the college level) Note: I think this is huge at the NFL level since many top draft choices seem to be satisfied with a fat contract and become complacent. It's important that a player loves to play football and wants to be the best.
    4. Leadership (check)
    5. Ice water (blah blah you know the cliches, the man just beat a dynasty by himself, check+)
    6. Injuries (never had one to my knowledge)

I know I've been a big Ferguson supporter, and I still think they might be making a mistake by not trading out (assuming they take Young), consider what Michael Vick did for the Falcons running game. Even taking away Vick's yardage on the ground, it helps immensely that the defense has to react to him, instead of the other way around. I think Young could help us slow down that rush a little just by his presence.

6. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

How many QB that are/were considered " Scramblers " won the Super-bowl or been consistently dominate year-in-year-out compared to a great pocket passer. Steve Young was a great pocket passer.

7. Sta-Chisle

Sta-Chisle Guest

What up Titanpride.....VA

The dude is a great athlete, but his arm and pocket skills are very questionable. His completion % is misleading because allot of his throws are easy underneath throws to backs and TE's. He rairly sends the ball down feild.

8. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

That sounds alot like our offense. :p

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

name a scrambling QB who has won a Superbowl.

10. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

I agree. Young plays in a " Zone step " offense... it covers up his flaws. There isn't one NFL team that runs that kind of offense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar