Still not sold on mariota

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by wycheck28, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

You're right it gets tiring arguing the same things or defending every week. I'm just happy we're in the mix of playoff talk and leading the division at this point of the season, hasn't felt like this since Hasselbeck almost got us to playoffs. I do think MM8 looked better last season.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I’m fine with him scrambling or even the designed runs where he slides.

To call a play designed to get your QB crushed if he pitches is just stupid.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. SuperMariota

SuperMariota Starter

Do you think if I would quit coming in here thumping my chest and boasting how great Mariota is that they just may feel less need to come in and troll the forum?

I’m not out to sell anyone on him. I think he has and will do even more in time.

4. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

No, not at all. I think a few of the regular posters are strictly looking for any and every response they can get.

I think there are a few legit complainers about Mariota but some of the pro Mariota conversations get ridiculous too.
    Based on your last post you seem fairly honest about what you're seeing. Mariota not playing his best ball but doing enough to win.

Even more, you point out that he needs his teammates to perform as well which is just like every team. That's not a knock but think of every "GOAT QB" argument ever and consider how quickly or often the surrounding team is used to defend/attack a specific QB.

What I don't like is using the term "winner" as a way to describe good qualities of a QB. No QB in history that was worth a s**t has "winner" as one of their attributes. That have that as a stat but other attributes are what defined their greatness among history.

So despite him winning a few games, "winner" isnt what I would ever really refer to him as, especially in a team game. He can be the greatest "winner" of all time, but without a team full of "winners", that attribute doesn't mean crap.

5. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Lol expecting him to be in perfect sync with a rookie WR who has missed the majority of the season is comical.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

You know what’s funny? I wasn’t even trying to bash Mariota with my post. I’ll take a QB who makes huge plays in crunch time over a QB who gets you big stats all game, then folds when you need him most.

Someone earlier posted about how Mariota is a winner even thou he has subpar/poor stats this season.

Subpar/poor stats but comes up huge for GW drives in the 4th and has a winning record? Hmmm... I wonder who that sounds like.

And everyone all season long has complained about how inconsistent or bad this offense has been majority of the time.

Whether you wanna put that on the OC, the QB or the the lack of plays being made by the skill position guys.

That still doesn’t change the fact that the year he is having reminds me of a Vince Young type season.

Poor ass offense over half the game, with the defense keeping them in it, but turns it on when the game starts looking bleak or when the team is down.

If anything, that’s a compliment coming from me since I was a Vince fan.

And yes, I am aware Mariota is pretty much superior to VY in each and every way. I was comparing the type of season he’s having, not him as an overall QB.

7. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Except that's not what VY was. He was a crappy QB that had 4 of his career 7 4th qtr comebacks his rookie year. After that, 3 in 5 years (all in 2009).

He had an awesome rookie year and deservedly won ROY. After that, all down hill.
    The Titans were winning despite his poor play. It's not sustainable to continue winning with a QB throwing 150 yards a game and a slightly less than 1:1, TD:INT ratio. Before we add his running, take note that 1/3 of his career rushing yards and more than half his career rushing TDs came in that incredible rookie year.

All that said, Mariota is not having a great season but any comparison to VY should only be seen as an insult.

Winner is not an attribute.

8. Roscoes Wetsuit

Sorry my attempt at trying to spin Mariota’s poor statiscal season in a positive light wasn’t good enough for you since I compared his season to a QB you don’t like.

No pleasing you Mariota lovers.

I’ll just start saying he sucks and we need a new QB every time he doesn’t throw for 300+ and 3 TDS then.

9. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

How many QBs usually throw for those stats every Sunday?

10. Roscoes Wetsuit

I should of used /S on my last post I guess.

But still the fact is, y'all are butthurt case I made a comparison to a QB you don't like. When in my head, it wasn't a diss.

It was my way of saying even though this offense stalls half the game and he has his share of leaving plays on the field, he is still making money plays when this team needs him the most, which is why this team is 6-3. And it just so happened to reminded me of the last time this team was relevant.

But that's like trying to compliment someone and saying "Mmm, you smell like roses." But that other person thinks roses smell like ****. So of course they would get defensive and take it as bad mouthing. So I get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar