stephen tulloch for brandon marshall?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Legit 20/20 mistakes..

Dyson for moss.. talent difference was night and day..

Not taking a chance on jason witten late in the 2nd rd in 03. Wycheck's career was winding down and kinney was just an average pass receiver. We needed offensive weapons. Witten who many experts considered the top TE was great value there and we had to know about him being a UT guy. Floyd was too mesmerized by calico's 40 time..

Ben troupe..we draft witten we don't take troupe the next year..

With moss and witten we win the super bowl in 03. With moss we win it in 99 and have a much better chance in 2000. Steve mcnair gets a couple of rings and the HOF.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

How about we take Witten and then the next year take Bob Sanders instead of Troupe. Chris Cooley lasted into the 3rd round in that draft as well and he pretty good if we needed a TE (much better than Troupe obviously). I guess anyone can look back and find some real nice player we should have drafted.

For example:
    Shawn Phillips was selected early in the 4th round, I'd rather have him than LaBoy. Reese could have traded away the LaBoy pick, dropped all the way down to the late 3rd and had that guy. What was Floyd thinking?

3. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

I think it would be fair to classify Chris Henry as a Moss/Hester-esque risky pick. Lets see if it pays off.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Yeah and to think we passed on Tom Brady too...:rolleyes:

Do I need to point out that many on this board wanted us to draft Quentin Moses?

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I feel like we are channeling the Texans this week - aren't they the ones who are supposed to lose 3 straight and lament over their draft goofs?

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I would classify Chris Henry as the RB version of Tyrone Calico. Calico has insane size/speed but had not really shined in college and was obviosuly very raw.

If you are talking about Randy Moss he was a guy who was similar to Calvin Johnson coming out, a great college player along with tremendous measurables but fell in the draft because of a questionable attitude.

If you take a risk on a Moss of Pacman at least you know they can play. Taking a guy who simply runs fast with good measurables doesn't mean you can play at all and many of them can't. IMO both Calico and Henry were taken way to early in the draft by the Titans.

Hester was strange because he didn't really have a position but the Bears could afford to take the risk because they didn't have as many holes to fill as most teams at the time.

8. DJB

DJB Starter

It's easy to pick the winning lotto numbers after they have already been announced

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Djb, it is a little more than that when a team is looking for a particular type player and the perfect example of that player is available when you pick. Randy moss was exactly the type of player the oilers were looking for in 98 we specifically wanted a WR especially a deep threat but passed on him. We didn't overlook moss, we passed on him. And moss was exactly what that 99 and 2000 team needed and didn't have.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I read a lot of smartassed comments and stupidity but there really were some legit logical cases where a mistake was made. I named 2. Moss was the most physically gifted WR to ever come out of college he wasn't some miracle out of the 6th round. And if djb, vigsted or any other poster can't understand that then take a hike.

I added witten because our team if any in the league had to know the value of a go to TE. After what wycheck had meant top the team witten was like a gift horse.

We can certainly also bring up hester because we came within a hair of actually drafting that guy. But the genius of one jeff fisher and this USC camaraderies crap got us a slow fat RB instead.

Anyone who thinks these examples are just 20/20 hindsight is uninformed..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar