Statement from Mike Munchak

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Of course it takes both but many of the things you blame Munch for was directly related to players not being good enough to execute. I disagree if you think the Titans had the talent this season for ANY coach to have made this team a contender once Locker went down. If they don't upgrade a lot of key areas and get better QB play, look for the mediocrity to continue.

You make it sound like Munch was holding back this team from being a Super Bowl winner. Replacing Munch does little without better talent to execute the game plans.

2. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

Jim Wyatt@jwyattsports 7m
    Munchak said his departure had more to do than just his refusal to part ways with buddies on staff. Said he was willing to make changes

But Munchak said he wasn't going to make changes his staff he didn't believe in #Titans

Munchak: “It’s not like "Munch isn’t here any more because he wouldn’t fire two guys.' In my eyes, there was more to it than that.”

Munchak: “I know a lot of people might not have been happy if I was back. But I had a plan and I believed it was going to work.”

Munchak: “I stand up 4 guys who are good coaches. It bothers me when people say I'm not here because I didn’t want to fire my friends.”

More Mike Munchak: “I wanted to be here. I have been here for 30 years. These jobs are hard to come by." #Titans

Munchak cont: "I know the chance of me being a head coach again in the NFL aren’t that great. Most guys
    get one shot at it.” #Titans

Munchak: "But I wanted to do it with the right people, and do it the right way. I wasn't going to fire guys if I didn't believe in it.”

More Munchak: “The way they wanted to adjust the staff vs. me wasn’t going to work. So we disagreed on it.” #Titans

Munchak: “It wasn’t about Chet or Bruce. People say “those are Munch’s guys.” A lot of guys were going to be affected.” #Titans

Mike Munchak: "Obviously they made it easy. They fired all of us so they could start over.” #Titans

Munchak: “It’s not like I came in and they said, “You’re fired. End of discussion.” We felt we were going to work it out." #Titans

Munchak: “It is hard. I was hoping to retire a #Titan. I was hoping to say, “Hey, I made it 40 years with the same organization.”

Munchak said he thinks the #Titans will be a playoff team next year. "But unfortunately me and my staff won't be coaching them."

Munchak: "I didn’t do anything to look like I was a great, loyal guy who went above & beyond the call of duty by not firing coaches"

Munchak: "For me to maintain a job and a lot of guys lose jobs on a plan I didn’t think was right, I couldn’t do that.”

Munchak: ‘I can’t fire someone when I don’t believe they should be fired. Firing someone is awful.' #Titans

Munchak said it was emotional cleaning out his office. "I feel bad for my family & my wife, who spent so much effort into my office."

3. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

Paul Kuharsky@PaulKuharskyNFL 1m
    So sounds like Munch would have fired Matthews and Parlavecchio. @MHOWARDZONE says Loggains was breaking point. #Titans

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I never said that I thought Kelly was a bad head coach but that's exactly what people would have thought had the rest of the season gone the way the first few games did. Kelly is a fine coach but no one would have seen that if Foles didn't emerge. That's the point of this whole argument. Guys who are probably good or at least average coaches end up looking like crap and then fired because they never hit on a QB that can play at a high level. It happened to Munchak, it almost happened to Chip. That's all I'm getting at.

5. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

In 2011 we were 1 game from making the playoffs and we lost to the Jaguars who finished 5-11, we had the Bengals down 17-3 at halftime in Nashville and dropped that game 17-24, and we lost to the 0-13 Indianapolis Colts.

Tell me how we lacked talent some more? Those are winnable games and good coaches have their teams ready to play. You can't honestly sit here and tell me we didn't have as much or more talent than the 5-11 Jaguars, the 0-13 Colts or the 9-7 Bengals.

That's only one fireable offense though. I could go on and on about his continuous botched coaching hires, almost setting defensive scoring records in 2012, getting blown out 51-20 (at home), 55-7, 38-10, 38-14, 30-7 all in the same season, divisional record, and record vs winning teams. I said this guy should have been fired years ago, and I was right.

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

There's a lot of hypotheticals to your argument I'm not sure what would have happened if things were different.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Retrospectively a lot of people dissatisfied with Munchak last year were "right".

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Sad statements. I'm happy for Munchak and more happy for the TENNESSEE Titans. Time to establish the TITAN identity and close the Houston Oilers chapter.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. TitanJeff

Go back and look at some of the stat lines from those games and tell me the Titans players executed well. They obviously did not. Am I making Munch blameless? Of course not. But I saw repeated errors by players who were, and are, not good enough week in and week out to make the Titans contenders regardless of who is coaching them.

This roster is made up of mostly players who feast on inferior teams and get steamrolled by the better teams. CJ is a prime example. He "makes plays" against the league's worst and doesn't show up against better run defenses. And he's supposedly among the most talented on the roster.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. TitanJeff

Just like those who said the same about Fisher his final two seasons?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar