Statement from Mike Munchak

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

And Andy Reid went to a 2-14 team and took them to the playoffs. Maybe that means Reid wasn't the problem?

2. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

both reid and kelly lost yesterday, seems ironic from my perspective. I never thought Reid was the problem and he sure did turn the chiefs around but kelly is doing the same thing in philly that reid did and I love to watch philly fans cry lol I don't hear their stupid eagles chant today!

3. TitanJeff

One player in the Pro Bowl. Another two who were worthy. That's the extent of higher talent on this roster right now.

Top teams have players the opponent has to scheme to stop. That used to be CJ. Maybe Kendall Wright is that guy now. On defense, I see Casey as a guy who has to be doubled in pass-rushing situations but that's about the extent of it.

4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I think the Reid/Philly scenario was extremely similar to the late years of Fisher here. Were either of them terrible coaches? No. It was simply time to part ways.

5. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

completely agree here and I think health wise it was good for fisher, he had to have been burnt out of coaching by then. Coaches put in a lot of time during the week we do not see hence Kubiak falling down on the field.

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much. Thanking "the Adams family" and not tommy smith himself seems like a slap in the face, to me. Tommy Smith gave him every chance to stick around and be opted out.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. TitanJeff

I'm not defending Munch. I thought he was an average coach. But if anyone thinks the Titans are going to be contenders with another coach without major roster improvements are dreaming, IMO.

I see a team a couple of season's away from being contenders IF they draft well and bring in the right free agents. Quality stability at the QB position is a must. Without that, I don't see the Titans as anything better than a one and done playoff team AT BEST.

I'd love to be wrong.

I remember quite a few of these same kinds of threads when Munch was hired. New coordinators to pull out CJ's potential, new attitude, etc.

Coaching is just one piece of the puzzle.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'd never argue that we have some super talented roster. However, I don't think using Pro Bowl selections/consideration is a fair way to assess the situation. Plenty of very talented guys across the NFL didn't make the Pro Bowl. A player in the wrong scheme or not being put in a favorable position for success most likely isn't going to make the Pro Bowl, regardless of talent.

Just go back to the 2008 season when 3/4th of our secondary made the Pro Bowl and then the next season nobody made it. Did those guys suddenly become "untalented" from 2008 to 2009? No. They were the same guys but the talent around them substantially dwindled and as a result their performance/numbers suffered. Thus, no Pro Bowl.

9. TitanJeff

Big Al was a big part of the reason. It was pretty obvious to most here at the time.

I'm not saying the Pro Bowl is everything. Look at All-Pro. Look at Football Outsiders. Look at any reputable source who evaluates talent.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I pretty much agree with this. Coaching is just a piece of the puzzle. But a pretty huge piece IMHO. Second only to QB.

The one point I disagree with is that we're necessarily "a couple seasons away" from being contenders. A quality QB can do wonders. I think if we get a legit QB in here then suddenly this "untalented roster" will look pretty darn talented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar