Starcraft...A video game epiphany!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by RollTide, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

A review of Starcraft 2..

I'm glad i played Starcraft Brood war first before buying Starcraft 2. Frankly i'm obsessed with it. A masterpiece work of art with great music it offers so much in so many ways.

In addition to righting some of the problems with the older game and providing beautiful graphics the game offers so many new things. There is an arcade section in battlenet where mods of various kinds are available. Even games that are not RTS. There are tower defense games, shooters it's unlimited.

The mapping for Starcraft 2 may even be better than the first game. There are dozens more maps from blizzard than you have for COH and hundreds more made by the community. I get obsessed with beating just one map.

Like the original there is amazing balance in the races. Terran-Protoss-Zerg. Consider this among the top 100 players in the world 35 are Protoss, 34 Terran and 31 Zerg. Among the top 25 it is 9 Protoss, 9 Zerg, 7 Terran. So this is the most balanced gamed ever! Not just in game play but in the number of people playing them. There is no easier race and no harder race. They all play very different and have different attributes and strengths.

Those who like me like to play skirmishes against the Ai will love this. There are 10 levels you can play and each level can be altered by percentage. You will never be so good a player to out grow the comp. The alternatives for comp team mates are outrageous. Not only 10 different levels but you can set the style they play. Full rush, Aggressive push, economic focus etc. Noobs can start on very easy to learn the basics and build orders etc.

Want to watch others play the game? Hundreds of youtube videos of tournaments and league games. My favorite team is KT Rolster in the Korean league and my favorite player is Zest. He looks a bit like my son and like me he is a Protoss player.

How deep is the game? All the best players have one race they play. There are no generalists in the top 100. You have to know all three races to play against them but these guys spend 8 hours a day playing their race alone.

Strategic elements in Starcraft 2?

Macro vs micro. Macro means getting the most resources and making the most units. In many RTS games that is all you need to know.

Micro is how you manage and control those units. Often this is the key in big games.

Terrain, having the higher ground is an advantage but some ground units can walk or jump up platforms and cliffs.

Bio vs Mech. How you attack or heal those units are different.

Direct fire vs splash damage. A group of units close together will get destroyed from splash damage.

Build orders. Going tech early requires gas.

Nip and harass. You are always looking for ways to get an advantage. Dropping some units in behind a mineral line and taking out some workers will slow down your opponents economy.

This is an incredible game. You can play for free just get the demo. Wings of Liberty with Heart of the Swarm is only about $20 on amazon.

The newest and last addition is a stand alone add on called Legacy of the void. It will contain some game play that is different. Archon mode where 2 people can control one army. Ultimate coop. There will also be a commander mode where teams will have one extraordinary unit called a commander.

I'm excited about Archon mode.

• Troll Troll x 1
  2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I used to play the hell out of MechWarrior2 in the 90's. I remember it seemed so graphically sophisticated at the time.

[​IMG]

lol

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I was halfway through SC2 and my HDD crashed.

Feels bad man.

4. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Blizzard knows their ****.

A couple of the best RTS ever made. One of the best point and click dungeon crawlers. One of the best online games ever. Hearthstone (card game) is amazing. Heroes of the storm is amazing if you like those types of games. I just saw a trailer they had of a shooter game they have coming as well that grabbed my attention.

Even the lore of these games (especially wow) is amazing.

They know how to make video games.

5. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

wc3 for life.

6. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

**** starcraft, only games worth playing are cod, madden 2K, halo and gears.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Unreadable Unreadable x 1
  7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I was never into video games until maybe '97 and even then internet wasn't what it is now and it was console gaming for me.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

FYI, David Bowie's son Duncan Jones is directing the World of Warcraft film. I was watching the Blizzcom interviews from last year.

When they came out with WOW they were hoping for a million subscribers because they needed that many to make money. Didn't expect 10 million.

I have not played heartstone yet but I dabbled a bit with Heroes of the storm and it is amazing. All those games are free to download on battlenet to try.

I hope they do a Warcraft 4.

• Troll Troll x 1
  9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

The dope thing about Warlords Battlecry was that you had a hero that gained levels and skills each time you played. If you played on Ironman mode, there was permadeath as well. I designed like 30 maps for this game.

10. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

I had a friend of mine get me hooked on Starcraft back in my younger school days. Wasn't real good at it, but man does the time fly by when playing these type games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar