Stanley Kubrick

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

2. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

A Clockwork Orange gets my vote.

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I haven't seen ACO, but I've seen 2001: ASO, Eyes Wide Shut, and The Shining.
    And they all sucked.

4. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

You obviously were not drunk enough before you watched any of them!

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Clockwork Orange is one of the most demented films of all time
    you should also check out Dr. Strangelove
    and then ,obviously, there's Full Metal Jacket
    all 3 are probably in the Top 50 ever
    also Barry Lyndon is one of his least known (and also one of his best)

6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

For some reason I don’t own too many of Kubrick’s films. I have Paths of Glory and Dr. Strangelove. I have however seen them all with the exception of Eyes Wide Shut. There’s no question the guy is an auteur, and whether you dig his thing or not, you can’t deny his place amongst the pantheon of cinema’s finest directors. The thing that stands out when I look at Kubrick’s body of work is how few films he actually made. Initially a studio director he pumped out 7 films from 1951 to 1957, and from 1957 until his death in 1999 he only made 9 more features. If you look at his films, starting with the Killing in 1956 the list is truly impressive:

Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
    Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    The Shining (1980)
    Barry Lyndon (1975)
    A Clockwork Orange (1971)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
    Lolita (1962)
    Spartacus (1960)
    Paths of Glory (1957)
    The Killing (1956)

I think from 1956 forward he refused to make a film unless felt a real passion for the project. I’ve always found his films like an out of body experience, visceral, but still somehow detached. I think this allows the viewer to view the events unfolding before them without the burden of empathy; Perhaps allowing for a clearer vision of an overall theme as opposed to a more character driven director (like Spielberg). It’s an odd sensation watching a Kubrick film, much like watching one of Jean-Pierre Melville’s works (like the amazing and highly recommended “Le Samourai”). I’ve never read too much on Kubrick so I’m just spouting my own opinion as a movie junkie here.

As far as a favorite amongst Kubrick's work, I really like all of the films listed above, but by far my favorite Kubrick film is “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.” (hehehe… It’s funny how rarely you actually see the whole title printed. It’s quite the mouthful).

7. Ewker

Ewker Starter

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I have heard Clockwork Orange is one f'ed up film. Though I have never seen it.

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Okay, then I have to add a couple: I have seen "Dr. Strangelove" and "Full Metal jacket", both of which I thoroughly enjoyed.

"2001" was difficult to enjoy because so much of it was accompanied with dead silence, and I doubt there was even 2 pages worth of dialogue.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar