Stallworth Drunk During Accident

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ColtKiller, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'm prepared that this is going to be a very unpopular comment and suggestion:

I wish/hope there was some video or eye-witness evidence of what happened. I just wonder... IF MAYBE... the victim did in fact walk into traffic, or something, to help contribute to the accident.

I agree that Stallworth should face some time, he deserves punishment. But I've always felt that it's unfair, that someone could wrecklessy crash into a driver that's had 4 beers, and the driver that's had 4 beers will be at fault.

In that hypothetical situation, the reality would be that the driver that had 4 beers WOULDN'T be at fault... but he would be at fault according to our legal system.

So I'll leave it at this:

If Stalworth ran up on the curb, struck the guy and killed him... then I think 6-8 years... whatever would be a heavy punishment in this case, would be deserved.

If the man jay-walked, and Stallworth struck him and killed him... then I think the punishment needs to be lighter. Jailtime sure, but 6-8 years would be too much.

To add one more thing:

I live in Hendersonville, TN... and some people may remember or heard about the "Sputnik's Murder." I had some friends there but I wasn't so I hate to really speculate... but the story passed along was that an older man "hit" on a younger girl. The boyfriend of younger girl, came up behind the older man, and beat him to death. In the end, it was decided that the older man wasn't even the one that "hit" on the girl.

The "boyfriend" that murdered the man... got 2 years in jail!!! ONLY 2 YEARS FOR MURDERING SOMEONE IN A BAR!

If people can get off that light for violently beating someone to death, I don't think Stallworth deserves to serve more time.

2. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

3. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

i can understand what you are saying here with these two comments. here is my take on them.
    either way, he was over the legal limit at a .012 he should not have been on the road period. now i know that some people feel fine after "sleeping" it off from the night before but either way he was over. he was the one at fault for driving drunk. if he ran the curb and hit him..yes, 100% his fault.

about the jaywalking... i am not claiming i know the laws in all 50 states, but in wisconsin(where i hail from) the driver is to beaware of everything going on, now matter what. if there is a jaywalker, dog darting out, kids ball rollin in to the road, you are held accountable for your actions. now granted, if this guy just jumped out from behind a car...could see it, but if you saw him walking in the middle of the road..should you stop. maybe if he wasnt impaired he would have.

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

He deliberately got intoxicated and got into a vehicle, and maybe killed a man (I'm just speaking hypothetically, I don't know the facts yet). What Vick did was pretty vile, but I personally put human life above an animal. I don't mean to sound like a walking PSA, but the minute you get into a vehicle with some alcohol in your system, you're making a decision to put yourself and others in greater risk. If in fact a man's life was lost not out of his own recklessness, but because Stallworth was drunk, then he deserves the very serious consequences.

5. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. 4EverYoung

4EverYoung Camp Fodder

The 98 Championship team is a place to start.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I see where you are coming from, and I'm not in any way making excuses, but I think Malice wins every time when it comes to intention, animal or human.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

It's just a simple divergence in philosophy. An accident is an accident, and maybe this is just an accident. But driving drunk to me is as deliberate as saying "I am risking my life and others, and I'm okay with it". No drunk driver goes out with the intent to kill, but is it worse when the outcome is the same, a loss of a life that could have been saved if the person had just taken a taxi? We could argue that for hours I suppose.

9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I beg to differ.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

30 days in county and an out of court settlement with the family.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4262751

"Stallworth faced 15 years in prison. After his release from jail, Stallworth must serve two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation.

The NFL has said it will review the matter for possible disciplinary action. Lyons said the plea agreement will allow Stallworth to resume his football career.

Stallworth must also undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver's license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service. Lyons said after five years, Stallworth could win approval for limited driving such as for employment."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar