Sources: NFL reinstates Ricky Williams from ban

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Does every thread have to turn into a comparision vs. Pacman?

Seriously, there is the firm Anti-Pac side, the Anti-Goodell side, and then most of us that are sort of inbetween. Trying to prove a point in every thread that is somewhat related is just beating a dead horse.

What we should be talking about is how the Titans should sign Ricky up!

That's right, if Christie Brown is having problems again and Chris Henry is going to start his suspension after this week, that is a great time for Ricky to come in as a fill in for Lendale White.

Wherever he ends up I'll probably pick him up for my fantasy team. Have Adrian Peterson and well ya know.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Point taken. It is hard for me, however, to not post when I feel there is further evidence of Goodell's arbitrary administration of the policy toward Pac.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

But there is no evidence of that here. Ricky has been suspended almost twice as many games as Pac. This situation has nothing in the world to do with Pac's situation.

4. Riverman

IMO it is a good example of how arbitrary Goodell is- letting a 4 time policy breaker back in the league when he has kept another guy out for an entire year with allegations only.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

One guy was suspended under the conduct policy, the other a substance abuse policy. They werent even suspended under the same policy. And you again conveniently left out, that he let a 4 time policy breaker back in after serving almost 2 full seasons worth of suspensions for his weed use. He has done the time. Do you think he should be banned for life for pot use? If not, what do you suggest? Just curious.

6. Riverman

Lifetime ban.

He reportedly tested positive again for a 5th time in April/May of 2007, during this "18 month ban" you keep referring to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Williams

On May 11, 2007, an anonymous source reported that Williams had failed a drug test again. The source indicated that NFL medical advisors have recommended to the commissioner that Williams not be allowed to apply for reinstatement in September.[23]

The NFL has made no comment, nor have the Miami Dolphins. Williams did make a comment: "Due to the recent reports about me failing a drug test, I feel it is appropriate for me to issue this statement," Williams said. "Last month, following a psychological evaluation requested by the NFL, we — the psychiatrist and I — came to the realization that there were a few things I needed to iron out about myself in order to make my return to the NFL as successful as possible.

23- ^ a b c Mortensen, Chris. "Docs recommend delay of Williams' NFL reinstatement", ESPN.com, May 12, 2007. Retrieved on 2007-05-13.

He also wrote a very personal letter to Goodell that is reported to have "swayed" Goodell toward the reinstatement. It appears to me that whether or not Goodell likes you is more important than the facts when he decides your future.

I don't attempt to "conveniently leave anything out" as you suggest.

7. MDTitansFan

MDTitansFan Guest

First, did pac man ever get fully convicted of anything? I havnt heard anything. So in all cases, if he was never convicted, does that mean hes innocent. That he didnt do anything. Probably.
    Second, I think he should be banned for life because of his pot use. Its not just the pot use. Its the ignorance. Someone said this is the 4th time. When is enough, enough. Goodell is taking in account Vick's lying to his face months ago. Why not hold a grudge agianst ricky, for his ignorance to the NFL's/Comish's laws.
    Third, my point of going back and forth with you dg is not to cause trouble. But i think this is great to have another sides opinion on this. My point is show how these incidents of suspending players, and punishing them, might be a little sketchy,inconsistent,maybe bias to how Goodell himself feels, or how he gets directly affected rather than looking at the case, instead of putting some of his feelings into it

8. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

No, the question is, how many times do you allow a repeat offender back into the league? How many chances does he deserve? Your view that marijuana use is not that bad is shared by many. Alcohol is by far a bigger destroyer of familes and is a much worse disease that Weed will ever be, but you nor I nor anybody else here can change that at the moment. It is illegal, not to be debated at this time. He has been caught by the league numerous times, been suspended, and he still continues to violate the policy. Until he can control his disorder, he WILL smoke weed again, and be suspended YET again.

The debate is clear. Ricky is a repeat offender, yes under a different policy, but a repeat offender nonetheless. His association with the league looks bad only because he recenty tested positive for weed yet again. It is clear that he does not have a handle on his issue. The debate is if Goodell continues to allow people with seems to be greater transgressions back into the league, while Pac still gets ignored.

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Part of Pacs suspension was based on two league rule violations, in not reporting 2 arrests to either the team or the league. So based on that fact, and the fact Ricky received almost twice as severe suspension as Pac, then I want to know how you guys are coming to the conclusion Ricky is somehow getting off easier than Pac? And Ricky has never been convicted of anything either, only violating league rules.

And your not causing trouble. I have no problems if you dont agree. There is nothing wrong with having a different opinion than someone, so I dont take that as you causing trouble in the least bit.

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

See my previous post. Pac is also known to have violated 2 league rules. So explain how Pac getting a year for violating league rules, is somehow more harsh than Ricky getting 29 games for also violating league rules. I realize Ricky violated those rules more, but he also got many more games than Pac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar