So you want this team fixed? Time for some player accountability

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alzarius, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Sure you are right, but you are missing the point we are all making....good teams, with winning ways would have found a way to win those games, bad teams with the "give a ****" attitude find ways to lose those games. Ask yourself which the titans are?

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Our failures this year come down basically to 6 close games. We won 2 and lost 4.

In the case of the Rams and the Jets they basically handed the games to us and i honestly believe that our ability to run the ball against the Rams was in large part because their defense was tired coming off the short week.

We fail on both sides of the ball to do what is necessary to close out games in the end.

We can look at player accountability, administrative accountability. We can argue that Locker is an injury prone bust but ultimately it comes down to the coaching staff and you simply can't lose games like this every year.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I agree with this and I will add on to this in regard to fundamentals. I think we have completely lost our fundamentals and it pains me to say this but we need to go back to the basics.

4. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Interesting... I already liked Walker a lot. Even though he's new, he really took this loss the way it was meant to be taken....

From Paul K's Locker Room Buzz article (ESPN)
    Truly miserable: A lot of the team was out of the room when tight end Delanie Walker was still in a towel sitting in front of his locker. How long guys lament a terrible day in the locker room isn’t the surest sign of how much they care. But it’s hard to make a case that he’s not near the top of the list in terms of how upset he was over a result that dropped his team to below .500 again. Stay tuned for some of what he said.

I agree with Paul that 'how long a guy laments is not the surest sign of how much he cares' but still, its a big part....

On the other hand... D-Will goes down, we might have to go back to KB and what does he do...

Kenny Britt, a receiver the Titans are going to need if Damian Williams misses time with a quad injury, was out of the locker room as quickly as anyone

I mean ffs.....

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Look at our defense on the very first series. Ok we lost a fumble so come in and and hold them to a field goal, no big deal. 2 running plays later it is 7-0.

A guy makes a mistake the other guys need to pick him up. That early 7-0 lead gave the Jags the belief they could win the game.

We can look at stats all day long but that was an important series and they looked cold and unprepared and got their butts kicked.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. PorcupineTree

PorcupineTree Starter

This pretty much sums up how I feel today as well. I used to literally let a game like this affect me for days, weeks even, in that I would feel physically awful because I allowed my mind and nervous system to literally allow all that negative energy I felt during and after the game to affect me for days afterward. I have finally gotten a much better handle on that because my age has finally caught up to me and my blood pressure was out of control so I had to make a bit of a change mentally, but the game yesterday still bothers me enough today to make me feel like I am just going to not watch on Thursday night because I just don't want to feel s**** again for another 10 days afterward.

Sadly I expect us to lose on Thurs. night and lose badly and I just don't think I want to give a **** any longer... Of course if I can remain strong and not watch the game, but we (on the 1 in a million chance) somehow win, I will hate myself all over again the next weekend because I will likely be glued to the TV for the Raiders game and the process will start all over again. It's like being addicted to heroin, you know it's killing you ever so slowly, but you can't entirely walk away from the pain and horror it puts you through...

I have been a fan of the Oilers/Titans since 1976 when I moved to Houston as 10 year old kid, the culture of mediocrity that is embedded in this franchise, it's administration, coaching, and players is truly heartbreaking.

7. PorcupineTree

PorcupineTree Starter

You have a lot of good points here, but look at it truthfully, those "breaks" never ever seem to go our way, and all those "mistakes" the players are making are in my eyes a reflection of a coaching staff that does not pay attention to detail and make their players accountable for those kind of errors. Darius R starts the 2013 season with an unconcionable safety then makes mistake after mistake after mistake and it take Munchak 8 weeks to cut the guy, Foku hits Smith as he is going out of bounds and costs the game as a result, two games later Ayers costs us a potential game changing Int for a late hit on Col Kap, and then Pollard does it twice yesterday ? Where is the accountability, where is the discipline, why does it continue to happen game in and game out. Despite all the turnovers yesterday, we easily still could still win that game w/o the ******* penalties, yet again and again it continues to happen. While Munchak isn't personally responsible, you have to hold him responsible in that he is not getting the players to step up and play better and while you have a legitimate point that we have been competitive against some of the better teams in the league (KC, Seattle, San Fran, and to an extent Houston) we have NOT won those games for reasons that seem to reoccur every single game under this coaching staff.

With Locker going down again I think it's the perfect time to clean house after this year, and change the dynamic of mediocrity in this organization. Go out and get a big time coach, a Dungy, a Cowher, a Gruden who are not only proven commodities, or a young coach that has no allegiance to the Oilers/Titans organization but have their finger on the pulse of what the current NFL game is supposed to played like.

I hate Jim Harbaugh with a passion, but would have been the happiest fan on the planet if we had made a run at him, but we never even made an attempt, because Bud was very nepotistic in his hiring practices, and so we stayed the course of mediocrity. I can only hope that this philosophy changes going forward with the three-way ownership/management group, but I tend to doubt it.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

yeah.. after 15 seasons.. no loss really hurts. Quite used to it.

We're like the Browns without the angry yet dedicated fanbase.

9. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

And although I agree with you 100 percent, I see a hell of an improvement from last years team (even though the offense sucks), where we were getting blown out by those types of teams.

To me, thats a step in the right direction. Granted, it doenst matter at the end of the day unless we get the W, but the level of improvement is one I havent ignored. Sure id like to be better, just like every team. What I am getting at, is that last year, we were outmanned, outcoached, out everything. This season, we are a few plays away, from being that good of a team and this whole discussion not happening. Those plays, are plays that players have screwed up on, not coaching mistakes.

Im not saying "well we are almost winners so we should be happy", Im saying we are a hell fo a lot more competative that last year and that if Britt can make a catch, and Reynaud not be a retard, then this discussion isnt even happening.

10. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Although I agree that they need to be more diciplined, our defense has transformed and developed a new attitude. One that has helped us win games. It sucks about the late hits, but its also what our defense has been preaching all season.

no one here liked the Griffin approach of last season.

The things I am talking about, more than the late hits, are the things such as Britt dropping TD's that would have won us the game.

Theres a fine line between being aggressive and being too aggressive. Pollard yesterday, that was just stupid and he knew better. However the past 3 games, our defense has lightened up and not been as aggressive, and it has shown on the field, and so have the results.

Maybe Im wrong. Sure all of us want the win, but this season, we can say "almost there", instead of "holy **** we got blown out again"

I see that as a huge improvement, and this entire team was not getting fixed last off season and every one of us here should have known that. Everyone wants to jump from nobodies, one of the worst teams in our organizational history, to an instant playoff team, with the schedule we had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar