So, what happened to Rice?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by lilkhmerkid4u, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

He failed the physical..

As far the titans are concerned he is not worth the money.

The quote gene heard is simply a guess based on the fact the titans have more money to bid with not any insight into how they think..

2. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Such as? What information do you believe they would gain from routine blood work given the issue is whether his shoulder is in any condition to withstand the physical stress of playing DE in the NFL??

You think a differential or CBC is going to tell them anything? Even chem panels won't tell them anything that is going to cause them to sign or not sign him.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If Rice was willing to play for a one year deal at the vet minimum like Moulds he would be here. IMO we have better uses for our money right now.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I assume it was x-rays of his shoulder that took some time. Besides, what's the rush? The guy is going to visit other teams and the Titans are not going to pay his asking. No one is in a hurry at this point.

Honestly, I want Odom to get opportunities so they can lock him up for a playoff run if he proves he's worthy this season.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Everyone will want to get paid after we win the superbowl, best to save the money.

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I suspect we are going to see how our current guys do in a few preseason games before we go out and sign another player. They probably know which teams are hurting to get under the cap, and know someone will be released that might be a good player, but the team just can't afford to keep them. As far as Rice, even X-rays won't show what condition his AC is in, and trying to play the run with a weak shoulder is almost impossible.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

The Eagles are likely to part ways with either Darren Howard or Jerome McDougle. It looked like it was a certainty to be McDougle, but he has improved somewhat at practice and there is now speculation that Darren Howard may be on the chopping block. (Howard has dropped behind Trent Cole on their depth chart and is scheduled to earn approx $2m this season as a backup)

Howard would be a great fit because he can play inside on passing downs as well.

I think the logical thing to happen is that McDougle still gets cut, but it goes to show that Simeon Rice may not be our ONLY option to add depth at DE.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Darren Howard would be worth a look but the Titans might want to see if Phily is interested in a trade because I'm not sure they are going to cut him.

I looked up his contract info and found this:
    3/13/2006: Signed a six-year, $25.1 million contract. The deal included a $3.5 million signing bonus and contains $9.5 million in total guarantees. 2007: $2 million, 2008: $2.5 million, 2009: $2 million, 2010: $3.5 million, 2011: $4 million, 2012: Free Agent....

I'm not sure what the salary numbers are but his deal probably works out to <4.0 mil per year over the next 5 years which isn't outrageous. If he doesn't work out we can just let him go anyway so in the later years where he is going to make more per year he might not be around any way. He would be worth a look IMO. Not that expensive, decent LDE and if he doesn't work out and a guy like Odom comes on we cut him and pay Odom the money.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

there is a difference between spending the money because we have and spending it wisely. giving a guy his money because he's available but wont be able to physically play doesnt make much sense, does it?

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

True... and we've all generally been going on the assumption that the D-line help has to come from outside the current roster (at least I have), but that isn't always the case. If Odom does step up this year then we could be fine. Still would like more depth given Laboy's injury history, but we've got options. I don't believe Rice is washed up yet, but if he's not healthy or just too expensive then I'm fine passing on him. At this point we're not going to be in any kind of hurry to sign people. I think Fisher feels like he could take the players we have and be competitive - once they begin to have the final roster nailed down they'll then begin to ask themselves what outside moves they can make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar