So again, I ask... Who's the best QB in the league THIS YEAR?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Are you seriously comparing Colston to Reggie Wayne? Or Shockey to Dallas Clark? No one even knew who Colston was until he stepped on field with Brees. And Shockey is the most average overhyped TE ever.

Brees played more? How? Peyton had 1 game more under his belt, which is the only reason he beat Brees in yards.

Brees played in 15 games this season. Manning played in 16. And how can you say Manning wasn't trying to beat the Jets. He clearly was, but after they had their arse handed to them he sat out.

How did Brees set the record for it, yet you say Manning still had a better completion percentage than Brees has ever had before? It's an NFL record... no one has done it before. lol

I suppose. I was more impressed watching Brees win close playoff games vs better opponents too... guess that counts for nothing.

Yeah, he looked better throwing more ints, more incompletions per pass, etc. Makes sense.

2. Pjames32

Pjames32 Starter

As far as this season goes... Brees was the best quarterback in the league.

3. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

This is just dumb. Wayne has always played with Manning. Colston has always played with Brees. If anything, Colston has put up better stats in his short career than Wayne had at that point, I bet. As for tight ends, there isn't a comparison, Clark is awesome and Shockey is average. Still, you choose to ignore Henderson, Meachem, Bush, Thomas, and Bell. I bet Manning would trade players at every skill position except for TE with Brees.

It was a close game, but they were winning.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I understand that I'm not going to convince you, that's fine. You see it the way you want to see it.

I think a comparison between Wayne and Colston is totally legit, both are top 5 NFL WRs in my opinion. Yes, Wayne went to Miami and was a first round pick, while Colston went to Hofstra and was a 7th rounder. If anything, that's just a good example of why your "Manning has been surrounded by more 1st round picks than anyone ever" argument doesn't hold water. Both guys have plenty of weapons, that's the general point I'm trying to get across. Yes, Clark is clearly the better TE, but Shockey is a good TE, and the Saints have plenty of very solid offensive targets.

Brees set a record this season, so clearly, his completion percentage was better than Mannings. I was just pointing out that Manning's completion percentage this year is still really high (higher than Brees has ever done before this season). Just another example of how Brees has several statistical edges, but we're discussing two clearly elite QBs here, so there isn't a big difference in many of the stats.

Brees lost two when he was playing to win (Dallas and Tampa Bay). Yes, Manning was playing to win against the Jets, but he got pulled, and the Jets only pulled ahead after Manning went out. Brees sat out one whole game, Manning sat out about half of two games.

You were more impressed watching Brees beat the Cards miserable D than watching Manning beat the Ravens D? He was the clear winner that week to me. I would call Brees beating Minnesota and Manning beating the Jets a lot closer, though I think Brees TDs jacked up his rating when he struggled a lot of that game, while Manning cruised. Both threw 3 TDs, neither threw an INT, but Manning had a 10% higher completion percentage, and threw for almost 200 more yards.

Yes, I stated that I have a different opinion than the statistical one. I didn't just pick that opinion blindly though, I felt that way based on watching both of them a lot during the season. To a large extent, the context/opponent of many of those games had more weight than the stats. Of course, Brees trumped all that by putting up the best performance in the biggest game while Manning choked again, but again, I'm not arguing that. If we started this over post-super bowl, I'd agree with you. The debate was different last week based on what had happened so far, and I stand by that. You clearly can't appreciate the cumulative effect of the things I've listed, so you ignore them. That's fine, stick to your opinion, just don't say there's no logic behind mine.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

And you say I say crazy things, whoa.

6. Deuce Wayne

For the record, Colston was a 7th round pick.

Reggie Wayne was a first round pick.

Debate over on that little topic. Brees does more with less. He truly MAKES average receivers (not guys that were supposed to be great coming in to the NFL) great. Peyton has done the same with Garcon and Collie- but again with Reggie Wayne on the other side.

7. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Colston is far from average, with or without brees..

This is a stupid argument. You can't blame Manning for having Wayne who was selected in the 1st round...And you certainly can't use it to Brees' advantage.

8. el_darax

el_darax Camp Fodder

No but we sure can blame him for consistently finding a way to screw the pooch with all that talent around him.

No excuses.

Best QB Ever? I think not. Best this year? Sure in the regular season as per usual..........and even then its a NO if you compare his stats to Brees. He was only better by more of a small margin in wins only.

9. Deuce Wayne

Yeah, I guess you can't hold that against anyone or credit anyone for the opposite.

I wouldn't give a guy any more credit for winning a race with 1 leg when a guy with a jetpack comes close either... right?

Yes. You most certainly can and should give more credit to QBs that make average receivers great and discredit QBs that already have 'assumed to be great' receivers on their team.
    Sorry. That's the way logic and analysis works.

10. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

You keep calling Colston average, hes not.

Austin Collie is me in a Colts uniform, and let me tell you, I'm not that good. Pierce Garcon is a bum that runs a decent 40 time, and Mannings got him looking like the next Reggie Wayne...

to be honest...I'd take Colston, Shockey, Henderson, Moore, and Meachem over Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Clark, and whoever else on the colts any day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar