So again, I ask... Who's the best QB in the league THIS YEAR?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

The drops and the amazing catches pretty much balanced out in the Super Bowl. Both teams had at least 5+ catches that I don't think any WR on our team makes consistently. Both had at least one BAD drop. Those things happen. Brees came out better last night.

I'm happy to agree that Brees had better stats this season. I don't necessarily think that means he was the better QB. I'm not watching ESPN and covering my eyes, I'm watching the two QBs and not listening to ESPN. I saw a bunch of games for both of them this season, and my opinion, before Sunday, was that Manning was better. After Sunday, Brees obviously gets it.

Both great QBs, so you really don't have to keep acting like everyone is picking Garrard over Brady. There's clearly not a huge gap between them right now. There has been a gap, career-wise. However, that was when Manning was better than Brees.

2. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

1st: Thanks for the correction.
    2nd: Im not saying he needs a bunch a SB wins but i think SB wins are needed, Bradshaw is an exception, but clearly the best ever should have more than 4 mvps and 1 superbowl win.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I don't get how you can do that, unless you're just simply more a fan of Peyton.
    Any legit analysis says Brees was better. In every possible way.

He had worse protection.
    He had higher completion percentage.
    He doesn't have a Reggie Wayne or Dallas Clark.
    He ran for TDs and first downs.
    He beat better competition.
    More TDs. Less Ints.

Their wins were almost identical, so we can throw those out. But Manning truly has no argument vs Brees this season. Not when you actually break beyond the "I think" surface.

4. Deuce Wayne

Oh, Drew Brees set the completion percentage record this season. Something Manning has never done.
    But then again, he passed for 5,000 yards just 1 year ago and I don't think Manning's ever done that either. Who cares, I guess.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Doesn't have Wayne or Clark, but he does have Colston, Shockey, and a running game. Both guys have plenty of weapons. Do you really want to argue that the Saints offense is all Brees? The Saints certainly have better play calling, and the guy calling the plays there isn't the QB.

Peyton had great protection, but Brees had good protection at a minimum. He wasn't behind the Texans old offensive line.

The wins and yardage arguments are always easy to answer. Peyton lost two games when he got pulled. Brees lost two games when he was playing the whole game and playing to win. Brees played more, so he had more opportunity for stats. The numbers aren't nearly far enough apart to make it a clear conclusion.

It's repetitive to say that Brees set a record, and then to say that Manning didn't. That really was an impressive accomplishment, but again, it's not like we're far apart here. Manning still had a better completion percentage than Brees has ever had before, and they have identical completion percentages over their careers.

You're right, as I've already agreed. Statistically, Brees had the better season. Aren't you the one telling people to open their eyes and not just listen to what ESPN spouts about stats? I guess I was just more impressed watching Manning come back and win closely contested games than watching Brees blow the heck out of teams. To me, that looked much more like a superior Saints team, while Manning was doing the best with what he had. Look at the playoffs (again, before Sunday, because clearly their matchup showed Brees playing better, as I've conceded): Brees lit up Arizona's terrible defense and didn't produce nearly as much against a stronger Vikings defense. The TDs brought his passer rating way up, but he completed less than 55% of his passes. Manning passed for over 600 yards in his two playoff games and consistently destroyed two of the best defenses we've seen this season.

Please don't start saying that I must have a thing for Manning. I hate the guy, and can't believe I'm defending him. However, despite the statistics, he looked better this season before this last Sunday.

For someone who thinks no one else is opening their eyes, you sure seem to be staring only at the stat sheet. Did you watch the Colts games against the 49ers, Pats, Texans, and Ravens? That was an incredible run, and Manning did a hell of a job.

Maybe it's a coincidence. Maybe because I saw Brees play against Buffalo and Dallas, where he had (relatively) worse games, I got more biased. He did look amazing against New England and the Giants, and I saw those too. In both cases, I saw teams with vastly overrated (your favorite term!) defenses getting exposed, which was proven later in the season.

Yes, the stats are better for Brees. However, as someone who watched all those games and a few more, I didn't come away thinking Brees was better this season until Sunday night. I respect the different opinion, but am surprised that you can't respect mine. Were you watching any of these games?

6. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

All I know is that teams with good to great QB's are all very terrible, regardless of the rest of their roster; which obviously makes me very hopeful for the Titans future.

7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Peyton Manning was the best QB! YEAH MAYBE 4 YEARS AGO!

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Stop making the same moronic point over and over. Manning had better numbers in each of the last 3 seasons and his team won more games in each of the previous 3 seasons.

Were you making the Manning-Brees comparison in 07 when Manning had a passing rating 10 points higher and his team won 6 more games?

This was Brees year doesn't automatically make him better. I'll give him his props but stop acting like one season is an absolute.

9. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Your welcome.

Let me add another correction. No one has ever won more than 3 MVPs in their career except for.... Peyton Manning. And he's not done.

Also, on the SB wins thing - several QBs have more than 1 that are not even in the "best-of-all-time" discussion; Bob Griese, Jim Plunkett, Terry Bradshaw, and Ben Roethlisberger.

10. Deuce Wayne

Hmm.. here you are bringing up previous seasons when the clear topic says "THIS SEASON".

Nice. Now go find a topic you can argue against without veering off the road of relevance. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar