SlingBox

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Before I start, I’m requesting that Mods leave this here for like at least a couple days so i can get some answers. To me, this is the definition of Titans Talk, as im dying with the beyond Sh**y streams.

OK, my cousin has DirectTV (non-HD which is better for me) and a crazy good connection with regards to upload speed.

As you all know, I live in Egypt now and my connection is, by local standards, pretty good but by world standard, garbage. It’s the best ‘consumer’ package as I download unlimited at a whopping........ 200 Kbs.

Now, on to the questions....
    1. Is that enough to watch?
    2. Will it be better than the common streams, both in terms of quality and consistency?
    3. Is 200 kbs for D/L enough?
    4. I read from some that Slingbox breaks after a year, is that true?
    5. Is there anything else i shoud know about it?

HELP ME PLEASE!!! Really anything would b great...

2. quagliero

quagliero Teh Awsum

I'd assume if you're downloading at 200kbs then you have a 2Mb connection.

I'm not sure what SlingBox is, I'm a GamePass subscriber myself (live in the UK). But to have a "watchable" quality stream you really need to be around 800kbs MINIMUM. There's a big difference between a Mb and a MB. What's sold as 5Mb, will give you download speeds around 500Kbs.

For HD viewing you'll be needing about 20Mb/2MB.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

FWIW I have mid range DSL and its is functionally around 350-400kbs so 200kbs is probably around basic DSL

4. titan_fan_4ever

the thing is i get 200 kbs easily, going over though not really.

when i stream games, i know that the max i am getting is around 50-100kbs from the uploader, no way they are giving me the the full 200kbs i am capable of, and often if its good, sometimes it never lags the entire 3 hr game or sometimes its he*l.

and i heard the quality is much better with Sling than with those free streams i get. But, again is 200 kbs serviceable. I would hate to pay for this and it not work. If you got a friend who owns one, and you could ask him, it would be much appreciated.

For example, those movie streaming websites of good quality, my speed is really good on that doesnt lag and such, is it similar or more demanding?

Also it wont be HD, it will be normal which I imagine would require much less Net speed.

Oh, is it possible to like download in advance prior to watching. Basically, like can I , when the game starts in real time, download for 20min (ie start the game 20min late which I have no problem with) – ala movie streaming websites - so the lag is reduced?

Finally, I don’t need perfect quality, I just need it to be decent and NOT LAGGY.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

You should find someone that has Sunday Ticket and use their password to watch the games online.

6. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Actually, believe it or not, I hooked up a slingbox to my friends TV in another state and we took a Laptop and an external monitor (23") to a titans game and used a 3G Wireless Internet Adapter (1MBps Connection) and adjusted the threshold on the data transfer and we watched ESPN pregame and the 12pm game over a 3g connection in the parking lot without high speed wifi. The connection never stopped or buffered once.

I think with your connection you will be fine with a sling box. What I'm worried about is the redundancy of your connection in Egypt. You might have that kind of burstable speed, but is it consistent and redundant?

7. quagliero

quagliero Teh Awsum

Try it out. If it isn't good enough, just return the Slingbox.

Alternatively go on the Slingbox forums and see if anyone has the same issue and that may have been answered.

8. titan_fan_4ever

thats somewhat comforting. yeah the connection is pretty stable.

torrents are the thing i download most, obviously. When the source is good (lota seeds) i download at a steady 180-210 kbs. The connection is pretty stable.

but, in the end its ADSL so its not guaranteed.

if your friend still has the Slingbox and a decent upload speed, could you let me like try it. i do realize what this means and im totally peace if he aint cool with that, but its worth a shot.

im not rolling around in cash but im pretty happy, i just hate wasting money (as anyone would) especially with anything related to NFL (the amount of Titan stuff i own is disgusting).

i paid once for that legit online 300$ watch your team ...and it was garbage, i still free-streamed my games that year (like maybe '08).

Still though, thanks to all of ya for your help. and let me no if thats a possibility to try it from ur friend.....

9. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

With your restricted bandwidth, I'm not sure any other options are going to be better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar