Sirmon Feels Better about Future after Meeting with Reese

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Titans LB Peter Sirmon had a face-to-face meeting with General Manager Floyd Reese yesterday to discuss his future with the team. "We met, and I think he understands where I’m coming from a little bit better, and I understand his position a little better," Sirmon said. "I think my agent [Frank Bauer] and Floyd are going to talk this week, and we’ll see what happens." Reese told Sirmon they hadn't decided what to do with him yet. Sirmon counts $2.4 million towards the cap and fears he might be a training camp release. The team has not ruled out moving him to MLB and Sirmon has said he is open to lowering his base and cap number if another year was added to his contract.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I think it would be great to lower his number and add a year, especially if Sirmon doesn't have any problems playing MLB. He has always seemed like a character guy. I understand his concerns about being a training camp casualty/release given our history.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

what history? Godfrey?

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Every team cuts guys in or after camp.

That midget Edwards last season - as an example - was cut a couple of days before the season began, course his whole base pay would have been guranteed had he been on the roster w1. Plus that cut allowed the Titans to get the 3 rookies more snaps instead

Sirmons fears are well founded, but it is not a Titan specific issue.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Yes. And Sirmon has seen character guys like Eddie, Kevin Carter etc released in June. Sirmon is a smart guy- he knows that testing the market during early free agency is more productive than getting released or traded late.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

EG walked away from almost the exact same $$$ so he could "start" for the Cowboys. Stupid move EG

KC signed with the Fish on day 1 of FA.

But I understand your point.

Just seems like Sirmon is burning bridges, and after last years less than spectacular play comming off injury - Running alone for a TD in StLouis only to be caught from behind and it seems there were several "safe" lateral options if I remember correctly - A move to the MLB might not be a bad idea. Titans list Sirmon at 237, NFL has Bulluck (WLB) at 235 and Kassell(MLB) at 242.

Sirmon is on the light side for MLB, but not to any extreme. My problem now is his lack of heart - I have no idea how that can be fixed.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Sirmon is the type of guy this team needs. However, we make it sound like the switch to MLB is an easy one and, with the Titans issues last season stopping the run, don't know whether or not Sirmon can make the transition.

Personally, I don't see moving Sirmon to the middle in a rebuilding year if the Titans don't plan on keeping him there long-term. Maybe it is time for Reynolds to get some work there or bring in a free agent Reese can get on the cheap.

I don't think Sirmon will be a part of the '06 roster unless he is willing to play much cheaper than he does now.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

just trade him.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Even if Sirmon stays at a lower CAP number he is still going to have compete for the MLB spot. Because it is a new spot for him there is nothing that says he is going to win the job. A switch to the middle however might be in his best interest long term after the knee injury may have slowed him a bit. He wasn't all that speedy before the injury.
    IMO Sirmon should take the MLB opportunity and begin working his butt off to be the best MLB he can be.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Sound advice, Sox.

But I almost think we'd both be better off if he could go land somewhere now, and we could fill the spot now or soon.

If we draft D'Qwell Jackson, Sirmon is gone, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar