Signing Young May Take $50 Million

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fltitan

fltitan Guest

I agree with all the comments about how the contacts should be but it's not going to happen in our lifetime both sides are making to much money. At this point give VY a fair deal and neither side let a couple or three million keep them from getting this done. It's in the best interest of both sides to have him in camp on time anything less is not acceptable.

2. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

I see where you guys are coming from, but those players need more than 800k to play football, there are more risks in football than in basketball. What I think they could do is just make the first year of the contract not much, say if someone wanted $48 million for 6 years, just have in the first year they would only be scheduled to make $2 million and in the other years the total is made up, and most teams do something like this to a degree. But I like the NFL system, where only the signing bonus is guaranteed. A lot of you want to go to the NBA system, but all their contracts are guaranteed. Thats why you have problems with players contracts like Allan Houston, Brian Grant, Tim Thomas, Penny Hardaway, and others. In the NFL you put your team in serious jeapordy if you have guaranteed contracts. That would be real cap hell.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Glad you're listening. You've clearly got a firm grasp on what I'm trying to say.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

First of all if the NFL went to a similar system as the NBA they would have their own chart with agreed on salary figures. Also remember that late round picks and FAs are getting paid $350,000 now. Also we are talking only about rookies. Even if the salaries were still in line with what rookies are getting now the slotted chart system would make the whole rookie signing period obsolete and they would be under contract from the start when they started OTAs. There would never be holdouts.
    How the salaries are structured is something they could work out but the bottom line is we need to pay a slotted amount, which they essentially do anyway and get these guys into camp.

5. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

^^^ okay, so where would the chart start- it will have to base the salaries off of this year- so even so teams are still in the same situations, they just don't have to negoitate, and in the NBA one position is not overly important then the other- it depends on the player, in the NFL a QB has to be paid more because he asked of more.......

6. Spinnaker

Spinnaker Guest

You Know i'd like to here Vince propose something.I think Reese should sit Young down, and Vince is smart, explain the cap situation, and then ask him what a reasonable amount of money he'd like to make. (Without telling the agent anyting) If it's less than 50 million, we go to the agent, propose the contract regardless of what the others are making. If the agent doesn't like it, fire him and get one that does. Of course this is probably easier said than done.

7. moose4now

moose4now Starter

This one sounds like it's going to go fairly smooth.

8. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

To VY credit...he has said that HE"S the boss, not his agent ( now ain't that cool) He'll get something close to the 50 Million deal. That's a price that's already been set by other teams for a player in his position.

He'll be in camp on time . I like his attitude.

9. smili

smili Starter

In the NBA Jordan essentailly went to 1 year "contracts" giving him the option to do whatever he wants each year. Roger Clemens is trying this also.

Otherwise the contract is all about the signing bonus.

10. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

$50 million!? Hmmm. Let me check my purse for my ski mask and leather gloves. Hey, BiPolar? Gunny? You riding shotgun? Let's go thugging and jack this fool for his cheese......Here's the plan. I look all cute and sweet at Visions. Get him to come back to the Telly with me where you and Gunny are hiding in the closet.....we'll tighten up the plan when we meet up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar