Signing Young May Take $50 Million

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

:brow: I have a sneakin suspicion that we'll see him play even on opening day. Maybe line him up in the back field or wide out, you know, force the defence to account for him. Then turn it into a trick play. I can't wait to see it play out.

2. Slipjack

Slipjack Guest

50 mil plus! The price for sucking, Priceless.

3. smili

smili Starter

The solution to not having 50 million contracts for rookies is to not get ourselves in the position of picking 3rd...

4. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

I doubt all of it is guaranteed, actually technically speaking the signing bonus is the only thing guaranteed, thats why many say that the NFL's way of contracts is the best.......

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Actually that's why many view the NFL system of contracts as meaningless, because the team can cut the player without consequence. The team has a huge out any time they want it.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

3801, isn't that a good thing? Football is a dangerous sport and the exposure to injury is unparreled in American sports... as huge as the NFL is in terms of revenue I think in cases such as these the interests of the team should come first NFLPA be damned.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Either way, Gunny's comment about doing something similar to the NBA makes perfect sense. The players wouldn't neccesarily get alot less money (although they should get less IMO) but the slotting would be already in place and the contracts could be automatic. There would be no rookie holdouts. Why not?
    In that kind of scenario they could include a % of the contract upfront. You would think the vets in the PA would be all for it because it could free up more money for guys who have been in the league and proven themselves. You can't blame a guy like McNair for scratching his head a little when VY can come in and make the same money before he has proven anything.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I totally agree with the slotting, and definitely think the money should come down a large amount, even though I think there's no chance in heck it ever will.

BP, I agree, the team really needs to be able to cut players, I just mean that that particular aspect of the contract makes it not much of a contract. Contracts are all about security, and that's not really what NFL deals are like.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Why even sign a contract, seriously. All you are doing is tying your hands for no good reason than getting some upfront money and protection if you get hurt. You could probably earn a whole lot more without a contract. The contracts are pretend money. It's a joke. And what player who restructures ever gets the money the end. Almost nobody. It's pretty much a joke. The NFL union probably allows this for some important purpose, but it's still a crock. The NFL should find a better way to protect its players and not hurt the team. Some kind of 401K deal where if the player is cut a certain part of his salary has been invested for future returns to all cut players.

10. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

but the system is more favorable torwards the team not the player, thats why its good, if you don't perform like you are supposed to then you will get cut- that said I wish we had a soft cap, that teams could be more loyal to veteran players, or like someone mentioned adopt the ability to place a Larry Bird Exception- that way teams can go over the cap to sign good veteran players that have been the team for most of their careers- with this rule we could have kept Javon Kearse and whatnot,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar