SI article -Cutler must see QB

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by PragIdealist, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As far as Young being a hype machine (see Jeff, I'm not quoting your whole post :ha: ), I think he's a great college QB. The question is whether his talent will translate to the NFL. I large part of Texas' offense was designed running plays for Young. Not only did he run for over 1000 yards, but the threat of him running greatly improves his passing game because defenses have to be so wary of him running the ball (not to mention their RBs) that they can't play coverage like they would versus normal offenses.

That's not to say that Young can't be a good pro QB and can't be a good passer. I just don't think his college passing stats necessarily equate to the passing stats of other college QBs in conventional offenses. While Vince can do things they can't on the ground, it may also seriously mask flaws in his passing game. I read somewhere that Texas simplified their offense to fit Young (as mentioned above), which would help explain the big jump in his passing stats last year.

In the NFL, he's not going to be able to run nearly as often because NFL offenses just don't do that. It's a guaranteed way to get your QB injured. Even Mike Vick has never rushed as many times in an NFL season as Young has in all 3 of his seasons at Texas. If he has to play in a conventional offense against NFL defenses, how good a passer will he be? That's the big question.

I think Young will be, at worst, another Michael Vick. He was a better college passer than Vick. But I don't want another Vick if I'm drafting #3.

2. Basically, my last post is the same as the Sportsline article Soxcat linked to. I should have saved my time... :ha:

3. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

But that's just it. He doesn't have to rush 15 times a game for an NFL defense to have to defend it. They will have to be wary of that on every play, so the passing lanes he saw in college, while definately smaller due to the size/speed of nfl players, will still be significantly larger than a pocket passer like Leinart would be looking at.

Look at Vick. Even in the running game, they have to keep the backside DE out of the play because they know he can turn the corner if they don't.

I think that people only say that a player can't be a great runner and a great qb by citing one player, Vick. That is just one example of a player who could have been both (and still might be in the future if he would put the effort forth I think). A player like a Steve McNair or Randal Cunningham have been successful both ways at different moments in their career. Keep in mind also, that despite Michael's subpar play and mediocre supporting cast and notoriously bad FO, his career winning percentage is over 60% iirc. That speaks volumes to what a dual threat qb can do for you that doesn't show up on the stat sheets imo.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I watch Vick and imagine how effective he'd be if he was an accurate passer. No defense would be able to stop him.

Young's numbers point to him being a pretty accurate passer which means he has the POTENTIAL to be the best duel threat QB to enter the league EVER.

Obviously, Young will have to become a student of the game and has to learn to make the reads, check downs, etc. and not always rely on his legs.

But with Chow's success with young QBs, and McNair there to mentor him, it looks like everything is in place for Young to have the ideal situation in which to be successful.

5. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

Yeah, I watch the Rose bowl... and what I saw was Young in the Shotgun every single play because he can't process defenses quickly... and when he did throw it was to a security outlet or he ran. I also saw him run a " Zone step " offense... which there isn't one(1) NFL team that runs that kind of offense because its considered gimmick.

6. danny

danny Guest

I heard Butch Davis talking about Young last night on NFL Network. He said he was talking with several coaches about Young and they all agreed if you didn't see his throwng motion, everyone thought he was very accurate and would be a good pro.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Is that the reason McNair was in the shotgun his college career too? How about when he goes into the shotgun now?

8. I'm not really that worried about Young's accuracy, as he seems to be fine there. It's his ability to read a defense and manage a pro-style offense that concerns me.

9. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

My analysis between when McNair was drafted and now are completely different because I was still in school and I'm more informed of what took look for. So back then I was going strickly off a great athlete with excitement and the " Sexy Pick ". The Shotgun is considered a 3rd down package to create more time and allow the QB to see the defense develope... its pretty standard in my opinion. I like McNair as much as the next guy. He's done a lot for the identity of the team... that being said, he struggles at reading defenses.

10. He seemed pretty capable of reading defenses when he won the league MVP...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar