Should the Titans go for Thigpen?!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I have seen reports (http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=10302&format=html) about Tyler Thigpen about to be traded possible. For those of you who don't know Tyler Thigpen he is a QB for the Cheifs going into his 3rd year only 25 years old. Hes 6'1 224, so decent size. He has a ok arm and can scramble if has alot of room.

Last year he played 14 games and posted 54.8% completetion, 2,608 yards, 18 TDs, 12 INT. Then 386 rushing yards and 3 TDs.

This guy showed some potential last year starting as a 4th string QB and worked his way up to being a starter. Yes he did have help with the Cheifs QBs and Injuries but still.

The Titans I think should go after this guy!! We could get him for cheap... trade VY or Ramsey and like a 6th and were set.

2. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I wouldn't mind going for him, but you say 'trade VY and a 6th' like someone will happily inherit the $14million cap hit that he brings next year. No way that happens. And I dont think someone would trade me for Ramsey and a 6 rd pick

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

i like Thigpen

4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Is this for real? Seriously? Tyler Thigpen? GTFOH!

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Daves not here

Daves not here Camp Fodder

I'm down ... anyone is an upgrade on Mr. Wonderlic at this point & time

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I kind of like the idea, but I'm not sure that he's the kind of QB the Titans need. If I remember right, he played very "loose" last year and just kind of chucked the ball up for Gonzalez and Bowe to go get. He is not a game manager in any sense. We don't really have receivers who can bail out a QB who won't protect the ball.

If he was really that great, don't you think the Chiefs would want to keep him? They not only went out and traded for Cassel, but Thigpen is now behind Brodie Croyle on their depth chart.

I know the Titans need to go out and find the QB of the future, but I'm not sure Thigpen is the guy.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

On one hand he looks like he could be a decent backup. Only in his second season, started 11 games last season and did half way decently considering he didn't play at all his first season. His rushing numbers were impressive, 386 yards.

On the other hand he is a little short. 6'1 isn't a perfect size for an NFL QB. It also makes you wonder about a guy being shopped around. Croyle hasn't been very good although word is the light might be coming on for him this season.

My guess is the Chiefs see Croyle developing and although Thigpen has some promise they want to see if they can get value for him. Thus, I doubt he will be real cheap. They might be asking more than we are willing to give up. Also, if Dinger really likes what he is seeing in Ramsey (not sure) the Titans may not have any interest.

The bottom line is the Titans would have to be ready to move on without Young and have little confidence in Ramsey to be willing to offer much for Thigpen. I like Thigpen and thought at times he looked decent. His numbers are not bad at all for a young guy. You have to wonder if Thigpen was on a team with a better offense (the Chiefs were next to last in the league) and a better running game (the chiefs were 30th, probably because their OL stinks) that Thigpen might have been seen in a better light.

The other factor is if the Titans see Thigpen fitting Dinger's offense. I really don't know. Thigpen was near the bottom in the league in average yards per pass so you have to wonder if he can complete the mid and deep routes.

9. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I still like McCown over Thigpen as a backup. Supposedly, the Packers are considering trading for him to backup Rodgers, though they may wait for final cuts. If they wait for final cuts, I think the Titans should definitely bring him in and at least have a look.

10. MadDog

MadDog GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!

a 4th for him.... 4th rounders mostly suck, notice I said "mostly"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar