shotgun spread offense full time next year?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by zackmann, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zackmann

zackmann Guest

Last year I was uncomfortable with the possibility of Chow leaving and Vince dealing with a 2nd coordinator in his 2nd year.

With the rumors of Chow being pursued again for a college job, I now hope he takes one of the jobs...hopefully UCLA.

I'm tired of seeing Chow try to incorporate Vince's prefered formation (shotgun spread) into his offense. Chow didn't run the spread at USC. Fisher's never ran it. No wonder we are doing a bad job of balancing including the spread into chow's offense and fisher's philosophies...

Where does that leave the Titans?

I would like to see us take a chance. Hire an offensive coordinator that specializes in the shotgun spread offense. Abandon the power, ball control running game.

Be the first NFL team to use the popular shotgun spread that is catching on like wildfire in college full time in the NFL...

of course, we are going to need to upgrade our offensive personnel....and the bottom line is we need more SPEED! More speed at RB and WR.

2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Fisher won't allow it. He'll say it puts too much pressure on his defense, little does he know his defense sucks anyways.

3. zackmann

zackmann Guest

ya, i know jwill....

but these first drive punts are putting pressure on the defense right now too....

4. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

Spread offenses are the future - the Pats have figured this out.

And you don't have to rely on passing the ball - you can run very effectively out of the spread, especially with a mobile QB. You still need a goalline package, but thats about it.

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Chow was never a big proponent of the shotgun, but he did a very nice job of adapting to it in Vince's rookie year. The more they went shotgun, the more effective Vince became.

I don't think it's a matter of Chow being unable to adapt his philosophies to a shotgun/spread scheme; if anything, I suspect that Fisher has reined him in a bit, and has stressed a more conventional ( i.e. conservative) approach.

My biggest beef with Chow has been his playcalling in the redzone, where he tends to play things very close to the vest, and takes few chances.

However, in his defense, on those occasions where he does go out on a limb, the offense has done a poor job of executing the plays. So Chow is screwed both ways; should he call the more predictable, more conservative plays that the defense is expecting.....or does he continue to take chances, even though the offense can't seem to get them right?

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

It doesn't matter what we run until we have players who can catch consistently.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

as i was watching the eagles/pats game last week that occurred to me. in the first half both teams lined up with 4 and 5 WRs pretty regularly.

we all know the nfl is a copycat league and who else would you copy but the pats?

oh yeah, and the packers are doing it too.

8. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

It was funny, I made a list of 5 keys early this year, going shotgun was one of them, we saw alot of success in it offensively

9. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

This used to be a primary offense in the league years ago, it was called the run & shoot, or the Red Gun offense, and it quickly went away when D-coordinators began Blitzing every down, and disgusing it well, and the QB's were taking a pounding, and the teams defense was tired b/c it either led to a very fast 3 and out, or a quick touchdown. But every thing is like bell bottoms & Afros, it all comes back around at some point.

10. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Fisher must have a bad case of little man syndrome and/or he's extremely stubborn, whichever fits. He refuses to admit he's wrong and change his philosophies. I'm not a genius, nor do I claim to be, but it's obvious to me that Vince, our franchise player, does his best when the offense is spread out. The pound-town style doesn't work too well these days.

His drafting style has caught up with us. We have absolutely NO weapons on offense. We have a running back that couldn't run out of sight in a week, one that can't stay healthy, and one that loves to work out (and nothing else). Outside of Vince, the O-Line, and maybe Gage, we're playing with a bunch of lost causes, including the offensive coaching staff.

Other than Vince, was Kevin Dyson the last first round pick that we used on offense? Wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar