Sharif Finch Should Start

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

I've loved Rak and (to a lesser extent) Morgan as solid players and great Titans teammates for years now... but the time has come give the young guys more of a chance. And while Landry has shown himself to already be better and more explosive than Rak and Morgan at this point in their careers, there's another guy on the roster that I feel truly deserves more playing time right now. My man Sharif Finch.

Dude is a beast. His strip sack of Kessler the other night was proof positive of why he should be in the game. He's a playmaker on a team that needs more playmakers. MCM does a great write up on him this week here:

Undrafted rookie Sharif Finch beginning to emerge as a playmaker for the Titans defense

Check the whole article out, but one of the most notable sections goes:

Finch has only played 164 snaps on defense over the course of the season. That ranks him 17th among Titans defenders. For some context, the top guys — players that never leave the field like Kevin Byard and Logan Ryan — are approaching 900 snaps and Brian Orakpo, the leader at outside linebacker, has close to 600. I point that out because Finch’s production far outstrips his opportunity so far. He’s 13th on the team in tackles with 23, tied for 5th on the team in tackles for loss with 3, tied for 8th on the team in sacks with 1.5, and tied for 1st on the team in forced fumbles with 2. However, if you look at those stats on a per snap basis, he’s 2nd on the team in tackles, 2nd in tackles for loss, 4th in sacks, and 1st in forced fumbles. That’s a lot of bang for your buck when you have 56 in the game. Pro Football Focus currently rates Finch as the Titans highest graded player on both defense and special teams with a 88.2 score on defense and a 84.5 on special teams. He hasn’t played enough snaps to qualify for their positional rankings, but if he did, he would currently stand as the NFL’s 10th best edge defender, slotting in between DeMarcus Lawrence and Jerry Hughes. That’s pretty elite company for an undrafted rookie.

Start Sharif Finch (and Landry honestly) to get these future Titans play makers some reps and see where it takes us.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. bupac

bupac Starter

3. MsgBoardJesus

MsgBoardJesus Starter

He’s had one good game against one of the worst o-lines I have ever seen.

That said, he’s still probably better than Morakpo.

4. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

It's funny how good he is for a rookie UDFA. Having one of those guys getting playing time at OLB sounds like a nightmare.

5. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I want to say yes. I’m a numbers guy. But then I don’t think Morgan nor Orakpo have played bad enough overall to be benched even though sacks are way down. I kinda hate myself for thinking about it that way... Orakpo and Morgan are both free agents next year though.

6. WV2SoCalTitan

WV2SoCalTitan Starter

I believe Finch and Landry will be starting next season, but for now Vrabels respect for the vets means they will still play. They've earned that right for what they've done for the franchise. It's not like rak and Morgan have been terrible, they also haven't been great, which is why neither will be resigned.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

The defense is playing well as a unit this season, I'm not sure a shakeup this late in the game benefits us, but finch certainly deserves more snaps, no question

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I wouldn't say starter, but I'd take some snaps from both rak And Morgan and give him more.

I'd especially try to keep Morgan on in run downs and Landry on pass downs .

9. MsgBoardJesus

MsgBoardJesus Starter

If Finch is starting next season, we’re in trouble. This team is in desperate need of an elite pass rusher. Finch ain’t it, chief.

10. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

Yeah Finch has been balling out.

Awesome UDFA signing for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar