Sean Peyton Embodies The Modern Head Coach

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ColtKiller, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The general manager has the primary job of drafting players not the head coach and Sean Payton did not build that team.

The Saints made a great move getting Brees and then basically got lucky with players like Thomas and Colston who were very late draft picks. They used a 2nd pick on Bush and he only gained 390 yards this year and meachum a first rd pick is only their #3 guy.

Fisher can't do anything about Mcnair getting old and you can't blame Fisher for the vince young situation. Great QBs like drew brees are rare.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Give Manning a short field and likely go down by 10? It was "gutsy" because it worked. It would be "idiotic" if it didn't.

Onside kicks succeed 23% of the time. Give the Saints another 10-15% based on the surprise factor.

He obviously had no faith in his defense to start the second half with that kick. Yet that defense held the Colts to a single TD and scored one of their own. If he'd known his defense was going to play that well, you think he does that?

I'm glad it worked out as it did but I'm not going to call Peyton this revolutionary coach for making a low-percentage call that worked out.

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

And how many games did we have to go for it on 4th down because we were losing? Saints didn't lose too many times this year.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Of course that has something to do with it but we have posters here suggesting that payton is a hyper aggressive coach while fisher is ultra conservative. To read some posts here i might wonder if the Saints ever kicked off or punted.

5. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Plus were were prob playing the Bills or Raiders.

No way Fisher would have done a onside kick vs the Colts in the SB. not even in the 4th Q. (i know we couldnt play the colts in the SB)

Fisher will take a risk sometimes when nothing much is on the line. But he doesnt have the guts to do what Payton did. Thats one of many reasons he will never win a SB.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Well 4th downs don't define a coach as being conservative or not. We had a lot of weak calls on 3rd and longs.

7. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

McNair? McNair? Really? Guess what...quarterbacks get old. Good teams have backup plans in place. Not a revolving door of second stringers hoping one works out. Billy Volek. Kerry Collins. Chris Simms. How about bringing in someone worth a damn? McNair got old 8 years ago. What about all the seasons since then? Unless I'm mistaken, Drew Brees has been a free agent twice since then. We needed a QB. I don't remember ever hearing about us giving him a call. And Peyton DID hand pick him. He personally called Drew and said he wanted him to come to NO and help him build an offense. You can chalk up everything to getting lucky, but the players they had fulfilled the role they needed to fulfill and look at the result. I suppose Pierre Thomas, who no one had heard of prior to this year, that was luck too? And Marques Colston? The guy was a beast right out of the gate. Nooooo way thats good coaching and scouting. No way they developed those guys, and picked them because they were valuable when they were selected and fit the system. No way. It's all luck, they scratched off the proverbial lottery ticket that is the late rounds of the draft and got a couple winners. Super Bowl time. Right. Our first round pick, Britt, is our best receiver, and he's our number 3. At least they can evaluate talent and put a damn offense on the field.

And Jeff, I think it's more of a case of having confidence in the D. Is your real name TitanJeffFisher or what? 'O no, cant roll the dice, what if Peyton scores....cant give him a short field.' That's why the Colts win so much, because that's the mindset teams have toward them. The Saints said eff that, we're going to attack these clowns. You say we cant blitz? We're gonna blitz till it works. You say onside kicks are 23% effective? Well they were 100% effective last night. That's why the Saints won that game. Throw what you know about football out the window. I bet Gut was having a stroke watching that game, because the Saints said screw the stats, screw the probabilities, we're going to do what we have to do to win the game. I'm not crowning him for making an onside kick. How about the challenge, that gave them a 7 point lead instead of just 5? How about the gameplan? How about the adjustments?

They onside kicked because the D had their back. Greg Williams said Peyton went into the defensive meeting at halftime and told them, listen, were gonna go for the onside kick and try and get the momentum here. You think they would have done that if they didn't think they could stop them if it didn't work? You think they go for it on 4th and goal instead of a FG if they didn't think the defense could stop them? I don't.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I am happy the Saints won. Seeing Sean Payton and Drew Brees celebrate was a nice thing. Drew and his son was really nice to see. And the coaching of the Saints was at its best.

They really caught a break going into the half, without that stop on the Colts offense they probably lose. I like the guts it took to call that onside kick and to challenge the 2-point conversion. I'll remember those plays for a long time. Fisher is no Payton, not even close.

The Saints have a good story now.

[​IMG]

9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I agree ColtKiller, the Colts want you to be scared of them and not try anything out of the norm. Colts want teams to play traditional football so Manning can set back in the pocket and throw the exact route passes they practice all week long. Saints ruined the Colts plans and they had no back up plan. once those Colts WR's had to run a route or play they did not practice they couldn't catch the ball and were confused.

I think the Saints exposed the Colts weakness and next season defenses will follow.

10. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Great post. Just one correction....Fisher is no Payton, not even close.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar