Sean Peyton Embodies The Modern Head Coach

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ColtKiller, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

some of you are just straight up fisher haters...To be honest, if we made the superbowl, theres no way in hell I would want Fisher to call an onside kick to open the half down by 4 against Peyton Manning or Drew Brees.

Seriously, that onside kick was 99% luck. It was even poorly executed. Would you rather be lucky then good?

Props to Sean Peyton, but in no way shape or form do you have to be gutsy to be a superbowl coach, thats stupid.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Maybe posters should be bashing Caldwell for not being bold enough since it was his team that lost. Caldwell had his 42 year old kicker trying a 50+ yard FG rather than going for it and the conservative play calling at the end of the half allowed the saints to get 3 at the end of the half and took away the colts momentum from stopping them on 4th down.

I guess it is easier to be bold when you have a HOF type QB and a guy like Brees will add about 30 IQ points to any coach.

The onside kick wasn't as risky as some may think since he honestly didn't think his defense could stop Manning anyway and the colts player should have recovered it.

Was Garcon's drop of a first down pass the result of sean payton's genius?

Was a rookie FG kicker nailing 3 40 yard+ kicks a result of his genius?

3. amy

amy Starter

As an older person, I can say that you are correct. We simply don't/can't take the chances we did when we were younger. We become afraid of change for whatever reason. I know I have to work to overcome some anxieties about things I never gave a thought to when younger. It has to do with one's mortality I guess. But it happens in all aspects of our lives, including our work. That's why I think 15 years is just too long to coach the same team in the same way.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

FYI the Saints ran the ball 468 times this year. They were 6th in the league in rushing.

They were not just a pass only team.

The saints play mix this year was not unlike the titans in 2003 when fisher had a QB comparable to drew brees. Titan QBs threw for over 4000 yards that year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

He won the superbowl. I'll give him Credit for that. To crown him the best coach ever by winning a high risk gamble down by 4 and Peyton manning making a critical mistake is a bit premature.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Fisher takes Risks in Pre Season. Regular season he just plays conservative so we can get beat 59-0.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

In 2009 the titans had 22 4th down plays.

The saints had 15 4th down plays.

Do any of you guys ever look things up before making stupid comments? Is it my job to constantly do this?

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff fisher was never any more conservative than in the 2000 season and that was 9 seasons ago. And he was even more conservative in the playoff game against the ravens.

The notion that he would be more conservative now is bogus.

We had more 4th down plays this year than we have had since 2005. There is no conservative trend but you can't blame him for not throwing more considering who he has had playing QB.

Give sean payton kerry collins and vince young and give jeff fisher Drew Brees and see how much smarter Fisher is as a coach.

We have not had the personnel to be a big passing team and everyone damn well knows this.

9. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

TJ- I've been hearing a lot of that on ESPN, NFLN, etc, and frankly I disagree. If he went for it and didn't get it, sure he'd face some scrutiny, but it absolutely wouldn't make him an idiot. Sure, it seems a lot smarter since it worked out. Nevertheless, to me that's a coach taking a risk and putting it all on the line to win a Super Bowl. The Colts were moving the ball, so he adjusted. He said 'I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep the ball out of Peyton Manning's hands.' At that point they hadn't stopped the Colts on a single drive, aside from the 3 and out that started at their own 1 yard line. So he rolled the dice, made a move, and it payed off. Even if it didn't pay off, I give him credit for doing whatever he can to take the momentum of that game.

SureThing- I agree, you don't have to be a risky coach to coach in the SuperBowl. However, I absolutely think that the modern coach...Bellicheck, Andy Reed, Sean Peyton, they are risk takers. They orchestrate high octane offense when everything is executed well and they take big risks at crucial times to win games. Sometimes it works (surprise onside kick), sometimes it doesnt (Patriots missing it on 4th and 2 and Colts subsequently winning earlier this season), but either way you cant deny the clear trend that is developing. Coaches who play an aggressive brand of football are more successful these days.

10. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Well, sir, Jeff Fisher built this team to be what it is. You can thank him and Bud Adams. High octane passing offenses are what wins these days. You can't say 'give Sean Peyton our guys'.... Sean Peyton went out and got his guys. Hand picked them. He understands what it takes to win. Jeff Fisher still wants to play close and kick a field goal as time winds out. That's 1975 football. In 2000 football, as displayed by teams like the Patriots and the Saints, high powered offenses and calculated risk taking wins games. Not conservative football in every front, which is Fisher's MO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar