Sean Davis S/CB Maryland

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titans2004, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

He is one guy whose combine stats really caught my eye. He is a 6'1" guy who has played both safety and CB at Maryland. He ran a 4.46 40yd which is solid, but what really caught my eye was his short area quickness. His 3 cone was a 6.64 and his 20 yd shuttle was 3.97. Both of those are really really good times especially for a DB that is his height. He also bench pressed 225 21 times which is pretty good for a DB as well. That shows me that he is willing to put in the work in the weight room.

So then you have to look to see if his stats match up with the physical skills. Their is no doubt that this kid likes to bring the wood. He was 2nd in the nation in forced fumbles this year. As a true sophomore playing safety he had 102 tackles. As a junior he lead the big ten in tackles for a db with 115 and led Maryland in pass breakups with 8. He was the gunner on punt coverage.

He thought about coming out last yr, but stayed in school. He says that what has really helped him in his coverage skills was getting to go up against Stephon Diggs for 3 yrs in practice. So he knows what it takes to cover an NFL quality WR.

If we don't go with Ramsey in the 1st then Sean Davis could be a similar type guy that might be had in the 2nd rnd. Ramsey had 3 ints and 4 ff in his career. Davis had 5 ints and 7 ff. Ramsey had 122 solo tackles while Davis had 221. Ramsey had more PD with 22 vs Davis 14.

I'm not saying Davis is as explosive as Ramsey, but he is a guy that I hope we look at especially if we don't go Ramsey in the 1st.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Played in the same conference as Ramsey, yet out produced him with inferior talent around him. Shh don't tell anyone!

I wish we could trade down and take Ramsey at 7. There's no way he lives up to the hype at 1.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • WTF?! WTF?! x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I saw him a few times after Maryland went to the Big Ten. Good player. I kind of forgot about him until the combine, but I like him a lot.

With that said, comparing stats is dumb. Maryland was terrible, so he had lots of chances to make plays.

4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I agree that you can't just compare stats, but one thing that the stats show is that Davis has been productive from the very start. I always like to look at the FF stat because those show aggression. FF don't just happen accidentally. We all know that INTs can be inflated by hail mary INTs and just poor QB throws that get picked off that don't really require skill to pick.

I've been surprised at how low he is projected to go in the draft 4th or 5th rnd.

For his size his short area quickness is outstanding.

5. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Yeah. He'll be a good pro. I would like for him to be a good pro here.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

This is silly. Penalize a guy for playing on a better team? No.

Sean Davis is a fine DB, wouldn't be one bit mad if he were a Titan, but he's not the same FS gone CB Ramsey turned out to be. Davis is likely a FS in the NFL.

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I'm not penalizing Ramsey, I just believe that being surrounded by all that superior talent he should've made many more impact plays(turnovers). He had blue chip pass rushers that should've created more opportunities for INTs, he was the best athlete on the field EVERY week. I just can't get past the low turnover numbers.

It's like being a Bama RB. You're already playing behind an NFL line, you best produce and produce big.

This draft truly sucks if we're considering a FS/CB at #1 overall who had 3 INTs and zero kick returns his entire career. Just the Titans luck

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Been a few weeks since I scouted Ramsey any, but I dont recall him being challenged a ton to where he'd even be able to get INT's.

I see him matching guys stride for stride eliminating them, thats worth our pick IMO, we dont have a guy like that on our team

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

C'mon JC, this is ACC college football, you can't tell me those QBs are so good that they throw away from him every play. I want to see turnovers!

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I agree!

Davis in rd 2 would be fantastic. That cone time is elite. His timed speed is in the top 2-3% for a safety and above average for a CB.

I have no problem drafting him to play FS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar