Schwartz's Future

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanpride, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

6 STARTERS were NOT replaced.

2006 - 2007 - comment
    DT Haynesworth/Brown - Haynesworth/Brown - sure you could argue that Brown was not starter in 2006, but he played as much as Starks did

Zero Starting Personnel change

DE Vanden Bosch/Odom - Vanden Bosch Laboy - Like DTs the DEs rotate so much that starter or second string is of only symbolic purposes.

Zero Starting Personnel change

LB Bulluck/Sirmon/Thornton - Bulluck/Fowler/Thornton - Dehr Schwartzie letting Sirmon sniff of the field shows his lack of commentment to winning. Sirmon was old slow and out of position all season.

1 Starting LB change - Fowler who just by being NFL average is a huge upgrade on the embarassment that was Peter "just shoot me" Sirmon.

S Hope/Thompson - Hope/Griffin or Lowery - As with Sirmon at MLB the fact that Lamont "the Big Dummy" Thompson even hit the field showed that Schwartzie used too many recreational drugs while attending accounting school.

1 Starting Safety change - Griffin or Lowery either one is an impact player compared to Lamont "where is the unemployment office" Thompson.

CB Hill/Jones - Finnegan/Harper - Finnegan should have been starting last season in place of Hill, by mid season anyways. Harper, like Adam Jones, is Napoleonic in stature and is no actual talent upgrade on the field.

2 Starting CB changes - this is about change and although both corners changed Finnegan should have played more last season and Harper is no obvious upgrade to Adam Jones

That is a grand total of 4 starters changed from last season NOT 6. The LB and S were no brainers as the 2006 starters should not have been in the NFL at all. Of the CB changes Harper is a midget replacement for the diminutative Adam Jones and no real talent upgrade while I would argue that Finnegan should have been playing in place of Hill in 2006.

So upon further review 2 positions were effectively changed in 2007 and MbSGWB retarded the growth of one CB by playing an obviously inferior veteran instead and swapped midgets at the other CB spot. This results in a total of 2 positions which ugraded in 2007 relative to 2006.

The myth of wholesale talent upgrades from 2006 to 2007 is just that - a myth.

So how do I explain why the D is playing good in 2007 as opposed to 2006. The MLB and S changes were huge talent upgrades while of the two CB changes one is a wash and the other (Finnegan) is an upgrade over Hill, but at least Hill is still in the NFL.

So my conclusion is that the 2007 Titan D has some personnel upgrades. I'll call it three positions upgraded to some extent (although Finnegan should have been starting in 2006). The big difference it that the D is playing with passion and aggression. A combination not seen in years. Some will credit Schwartz for that. I for one blame Schwartz for allowing the D to play for season after season without passion and aggression and refuse to credit him for it this season. The aggression is comming from inside the locker room not from chief red hat.

Of course this is one mans oppinion and your mileage may vary.

2. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

:hang:

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

GoT says it all. These are the same damn players we have had all along. We were last in defense in 06 with almost everyone of our starters now.

Maybe schwartz is just an average coach like fisher is and an average coach will put out crap defenses and good defenses both. Most of our d-line are in a contract year and are also healthy. We see this in baseball all the time where the same players who only won 75 games one year win 95 games the next. Everything comes together and everyone has a good season individually.

Rcarie has it backwards because this year we are proving that we can be a good defense with those same players. Crappy talent was not an excuse for being 32nd last year. Hell last year we even had pacman!

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Titans at redskins 2006..

We are 0-5 coming in that game and win our first. There are highlights of that game on video somewhere but in that game LT stood there with finger inserted into rectum and watched as chris cooley caught a TD pass in front of him. Later the not so blazing fast brandon lloyd torched hill on a 46 yard pass.

We won and and our record now just 1-5 and were starting a rookie QB. the playoffs could not have been even in sight. How much courage and common sense would it had taken then to replace hill with finnegan who was playing great and LT with lowry? Even sirmon with tulloch?

The steelers have a great defense every year. So does the ravens. For us it is hit and miss which proves it is not great coaching.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Go back and look at the actual starting roster for the Titans defense line week-to-week last season. Be sure to note how many games Odom was out. Be sure to note those games LaBoy was hurt or had to play every snap. Look at how many games Haynesworth was out. Smith and Long too. We were playing guys in the rotation who are not on an NFL roster right now.

There was very little consistency on the DL at any point last season and they rarely were able to get pressure without bringing a blitzer. This is the unit which has turned the Titans D around this season.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

What really amazes me is how people will forget about how we had nearly the same players when Schwartz took over after Williams and our Defense got worse.

Then we were horrible for 3 years.

Now we are having one great year.

I'm amazed so many people are satisfied with 1 out of 6 or 7 seasons being great, with every other season being underperforming or down right horrible.

Please, someone, hire Schwartz as a HC after this year. Please let it be the Jaguars. (Although with Schartz analytical style he may do better in a HC role then DC, but I doubt it.)

Now, if only we could cut that Pacman guy.

7. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Brown is starting over Smith... There's ONE. Just because he was on the team means nothing. He's still a new starter.

Odom missed 12 games and only started 2. I would say that's hardly bringing back a starter from last year... there's TWO

K. Great....Blah Blah Blah... So, back to the point here... Fowler is starting and Sirmon isn't he? There's THREE

Great... So, Griffen is starting, right? There's FOUR

Okie Dokie.. I see a trend here... So, Harper and Finnigan are new starters... There's FIVE and SIX

Count em... That's SIX new starters... It's either that or Schwartz is the hole reason that we're better... Nobody's saying that! It's funny that when you hear the players interviewed they almost always give the coaching staff credit and a lot of times they single out Schwartz as doing a good job prepairing them... I guess they're full of **** and your smarter!

8. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I'm amaized by people that can't understand football talent. Even a little.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

the DL rotates so much that starters/reserves are usually at 60/40 so starter designations are superficial

so 6 MINUS 2 = 4

Harper is no upgrade on Adam Jones

so 4 MINUS 1 = 3

Then there is the retardation of Finnegian caused by Schwartz continuing to play Renaldo "I won't look for the ball" Hill instead of playing CF

so 3 MINUS 1 = 2 which happen to be Sirmon and Thompson neither of which are in the NFL anymore yet started 30+ games for Schwartz last year

I agree with Titan Jeffs argument. I realize that the continunity was lacking in 2006 especially on the defensive front 4. I still find it puzzling that basically the same group of guys slept walked thru 2006 and come 2007 they are playing like All-Pros. One thing is certain I do not credit Schwartz with whatever the delta factor is.

as an aside players praising the coaching staff after a dominate performance is nothing new. Where was this praise for Schwartz in 2006? Was Keith Bulluck praising Dehr Schwartzie when he had his closed door meeting after the 32nd ranked Titans got gacked again and again early last year?

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Frivolous findings found as fabrication from faulty facts.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar