schwartz throws a hissy

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Actually...

Excellent post!

Another factor other than 3rd down conversion is forcing 3rd downs in the first place. One of our problems has been getting a team to 3rd down without giving up a first down (on an earlier down).

For example, in one of the Jags' 11 play drives, they only had 2 3rd downs!

Gut

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Sk...

After a 15 minute rest at halftime, the D got another 3-4 min off (including tv timeouts) on our first drive. All rested up, the Jags O ripped off a 13 play drive on us. That's due to the D playing poorly, not the offense. On that drive we gave up a 6 yd run, followed by a stuff to force 3rd and 4....we gave up a 7 yd pass. A stuffage on 1st down and a short pass gets us another 3rd (and 7yds to go this time). Here we gave up a 14 yd pass. Again, the D failed to get itself off the field. Then an incomplete pass is followed by a 15 yd pass for first down. Then a run stuff is followed by a run for 12 yds up the middle. Two first downs and we didn't even get them to 3rd down. Finally the D stiffens when they're already at our 14 yd line. We stuff them on first down, sack garrard on 2nd and force the fumble on 3rd. Point is, that drive is due to our D not getting itself off the field, not because the O was not able to sustain a drive.

On the next drive, we gave up a 3rd down conversion which turned a 3 and out into a 6 and out. And yes, that has a cumulative effect after our D gave up that first 13 play drive. Then we gave up an even longer 16 play drive including 4 3rd down conversions...3 of which were converted. I believe that's a 75% conversion rate.

Then they had a 5 play drive (not longer because they scored a TD) in which we didn't even get them to 3rd down!

The fact that the Titans O only had 3 possessions in the second half is certainly a factor in the D being tired, but if they hadn't allowed such long drives, the offense would have had more plays and the Jags O would have had less. The fact that our D allowed the Jags a 3rd down conversion rate of 60% in the second half should tell you something which has nothing to do with the Offense.

Gut

3. No one has suggested that the D shut down the Jags. But they also didn't get killed. Despite the number of 3rd down conversions allowed, the Titans didn't give up that many yards per play. And even if you ignored the turnovers they forced, they still managed to outperform the stagnant offense that day.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Sk...

I didn't say the offense had a good day. But giving up an avg of 5.1 per carry for 40 carries IS getting killed on the ground. Sure it's not bad if your a Colts fan, but that's BAD!!!

We will never be a steady playoff team with a D that performs like this consistently. The D and the style of D are BIG factors as to our TOP problems.

Gut

5. You do realize that the Jags average 4.9 YPC rushing the ball for the year, right? You realize that Maurice Jones-Drew averages 5.8 YPC this year?

We allowed slightly over their season average. In fact, after the Fred Taylor 35 yard run early on, the Titans allowed just 4.3 YPC for the rest of the game. And they held Jones-Drew to just 3.9 YPC.

The personnel needs to get better. No scheme can win in the NFL if you don't have enough quality players. But any number of defensive schemes have won Super Bowls that otherwise result in terrible defenses when they are run with subpar players.

6. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

Great point that all of the Schwartz bashers overlook.

I spent Christmas Eve with a former college coach. We discussed the Titans and in particular, their defense. This fomer SEC college football coach said that Schwartz was a pretty decent coach and runs a very good scheme. He said that the Titans problems stem from their lack of strength up the middle of their defense, undersized linebackers(one in particular who dramatically harms the Titans' run defense), and team youth.

7. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

great coaches make great defenses out of bad players... we only really have 1 "bad player" schwartz has been average with average talent
    so we held jones-drew slightly above his average... that means we'e below average... thats not where we need to be.

where is this "youth" on the starting defense?
    rey hill? he's stared 2 seasons now.. vet.
    pac? gimmie somebody who doesnt think he's top5- 10 cb.

i just think schwartz sucks. his scheme is good if we are losing ... he's too stubborn otherwise. prolly why fish likes him

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Sk...

Hmmm...you wanna take up another gig of TJ's webspace debating stats like that? Yes I'm aware that on MJD's statistically small sample (number of carries) that his total ypc is 5.8. I also know that if merely take out his large chunk of carries against the Colts twice this number drops to about 4.9.

I also know that you can't take any carries out of the game we played against the Jags since they all happened. Which means we avg'd giving up 5.1 yds per carry on 40 carries. That is statistically BAD! As I have pointed out, that will prevent you from even getting to a 3rd down if you play that poorly (not to mention we allowed over 50% 3rd down conversions). Combine that with the huge amount of yards and you have what we call...bad defense. So you can try to justify the poor showing by saying it's only slightly better or worse than their season avg (which is not taking into account the quality of the opponent), but the important factor is that it is 5.1 yards avg. That is not a good stat anyway you slice it and the last time I checked, MJD is not Barry Sanders. And BTW, he ripped us for a 7.0ypc avg the previous meeting in November.

I find this a rather interesting argument. In the other thread when you're arguing about how good Reese is, you mentioned how virtually everyone on the D is a 'legit' NFL starter. Now you're saying they aren't? Which is it?

In my post on the other thread, I noticed you didn't answer that question so I'm re-asking it here so I can understand where you're coming from. Who exactly is the talent that needs to be replaced (upgraded) on the D???

Gut

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ft...

Care to answer the last question I asked you?

As for you current post...

Who is the former SEC coach you talked to?

How would he know how good or bad of a coach Schwartz is (did he work with him? when, where?) or is this just his opinion of how the D's played this year?

What is the 'very good scheme' the Titans use? Perhaps you could explain it and why they use that scheme as opposed to a different one?

Also, since you seem to agree that the Titans have a personel problem, who do you think needs replacing and how would you rate each of the starters on D?

Do you think any of the 'backups' on the roster could do a better job? If yes, why hasn't JS given them a shot? If no, why not?

Gut

10. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Look for an OLB to be a priority in the offseason, along with a DE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar