Schwartz getting some ESPN love

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Interesting analysis by rcarie about talent since 90% of the players on last years bum defense are the same guys on this years team. swap out pacman for harper and robaire smith for odom and this is the same bunch of guys. But this year we are oh so much more talented..

Starkiller gave one of his victim speeches again. Up on the pulpit arms waving madly. Telling us how many bad players the titans had on defense last year. I guess God almighty must have carved into a rock that LT, hill and sirmon had to start last year and the coaches had no choice but to play them. We had lowry, finnegan and tulloch on the roster last season and if we can start a rookie QB we can also start a rookie CB or FS. The coaches moronically admitted that hill was less than 100% last season but even after watching finnegan start there a couple of games still didn't have the good sense to make a change. :rolleyes:

It was the coaches who tried to make an every down player out of laboy..

It was the coaches who told laboy and KVB to bulk up and gain weight so they could be slower.

We had 10 year olds posting here asking wtf LT was doing out on that field but fisher and schwartz couldn't answer that.

I know it's risky to play young guys but when you are 0-5 and are starting a rookie QB maybe you can take such a risk.

This year i would like to thank vince young for improving our defense. Young is the motivating force on this team he created the belief we will win and he gives the players reason to expect big things. Vince has improved our running game, improved our TOP.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

An extra note about tony brown. A pretty good player who was on this team for 12 games last year.

3. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

No one is claiming these guys to be world-beaters, but they were supposed to be starters at the beginning of the season. Two players is HALF of the D-Line. With Haynesworth's suspension last season, there were five games played where Vanden Bosch was the sole original starter at his position along the D-Line. That's three quarters of the starting D-Line not playing!!! And it's not just a lack of talent, but also a lack of depth. Laboy played banged up much of the season, and we couldn't keep guys fresh, which we are obviously benefiting from now. Agreed, Tony Brown was a nice surprise, but to claim these are all the same guys now is ridiculous.

About Indianapolis, sure they lost five starters... and they also made Freeney the highest paid defensive end in the game. With Polian as their GM, they could have kept anyone they would have thought worth keeping.

4. Learn math there buddy...

We have 6 new starters: Odom, Brown, Fowler, Finnegan, Harper, and Lowry. We also have Haynesworth playing far better than he did last year (even when he wasn't suspended). We also have much better depth with a variety of different bench players.

They said they were going to make a change with Lowry/Thompson until the team went on their winning streak. The same logic could have been true with Sirmon/Tulloch.

As for the rest, they didn't have Finnegan prepared to play outside.

No, it was the injury to Odom that did that.

"Coaches" doesn't automatically mean Schwartz...

Fisher is the guy who makes the personnel choices as far as who starts...

5. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Though not on this board, I've been supporting Schwartz for years now. It's not that I think he's the best DC out there. It's that I'm not disappointed with the job he has done with this team. People tend hang on to the defense rankings like us climbing the rankings would have guaranteed us the Superbowl. The defense rankings are based on yards per game. That's not even half the story.

For the record, Indianapolis did win the Superbowl, with the 21st ranked defense, and were pretty much carried through the post season, by their defense.

6. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

6 new starters is 54% and that's a huge difference. Better tacklers and more speed all the way around. Last I checked T Brown took over for Robaire and Odom was in the mix last year at DE but only played in 4 games due to injury... I don't see how anyone can't see the difference in talent level and how some people think that doesn't matter. If talent doesn't matter why even have a draft? They could just do a random computer draw and send guys where ever... It wouldn't matter.

The biggest reason our D has suffered is because of our lack of talented players in the past. It's not like these coaches learned to coach yesterday and all of the sudden we're better because of it. I've been saying this for three years and now it has come to fruition.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

6 new starters, but only Harper and Fowler are new to the team. That sort of kills the "lack of talented players in the past" comment. Also, we are without Pacman. (who I think is somewhat overrated but most think is amazing)

8. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Uh... If you don't judge your team by who's starting than how do you judge it... That's like saying that when the Patriots decided to start Tom Brady over Bledsoe they weren't any better than the previous year... I'm pretty sure they were. That doesn't make sense. Some players get better and some simply get a chance. Finnegan got better. We added Harper, Odum played in 4 games last year, Lowery starts instead of Thompson, Brown has earned his way in and so has Fowler.
    It took Kieth Bulluck 3 years to become a starter.... Were we better or worse than the year before he began to start?? Just because the guy was on the team doesn't mean anything. That's foolish.

If we aren't better because of player talent then why are we better? Did our coach's change??? Nope. The only thing different are our starters... That's hard to figure out.:rolleyes: Do you think Schwartz got smarter all the sudden?? I know your answer to that.. So, how is it that we've improved on D?

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Right 6 new starters but 4 were on the team last year and so was tulloch. You can't stick your chest out and brag that tony brown is a new starter when we had the guy for 12 damn games last year.

Is harper for pacman an example of better talent?

Rcarie completely ignored my entire post continuing to act as if finnegan, lowry, brown, dropped from the sky. Those faster players who tackle better were on the bench! Harper is NOT faster than pacman. As for starkiller's silly comment about finnegan not being prepared for the outside he was our top backup on the outside!

We had a defense last year with Pacman-haynesworth-KVB-bulluck-hope-thornton that finished 32nd. Bad coaching! Combined those players missed just 7 games due to injury or suspension. Give me those guys and i'll not finish deadass last in defense.

10. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Nice craw fish of my posts ... I would not have responded either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar