Schottenheimer Fired

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Or Fish might want to go to SD and work with Volek again.

:ha: :ha: I just couldn't say that and keep a straight face.......

2. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

that would be hilarious.. :evil:

and wouldn't volek just love that..
    He'll be benched for another 6 seasons.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I don't know how I'd feel if I was a chargers fan. It's got to be hard to replace an entire staff, especially this late after so many people have gotten jobs.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Expect Chow's name to pop up as a candidate though I think they must have someone in mind to wait this late to make the move.

5. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

You know, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. I'm not saying the move will make them good this year, I still think they miss the playoffs, mainly because of the division they're in, but they've already lost both coordinators and Schotty was only under contract through this season, so they would be changing their HC next season anyway, why not go ahead and do it this year and get the new system in?

That said, I would have taken a different approach to it if I had any power in the Chargers' organization, it seems to me that they had a great opportunity to bring in their top two candidates as coordinators this year and judge their performance this year in hiring one of them as HC next season, it'd help them keep consistency and could help them make sure they're getting the best coach to work with their talent. Although you would have to be very careful about it so you don't create competition between the coaches and split your lockerroom.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

well...

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

There is very little patience in the NFL anymore. Even when you make the playoffs it's not enough. I think Tampa Bay realized now it was Dungy's guys that made the SB, not him. What if the Colts had given up on him for getting beat by the Pats and Steelers? Would they have won the SB this year? With parity in the league now it takes time to put things together, but fans and owners want heads to roll. I can never remember a year when so many head coaches have either stepped down or been let go.

8. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I agree that they do have one of the most talented teams in the league, but talent can only do so much. The main reason I could see them missing the playoffs is the division they're in, the Chiefs made the playoffs this year and the Broncos missed only because the Chiefs held the tiebreaker over them, and the Broncos will only improve, Cutler showed a lot of promise at the end of last season and we all know the Broncos have a running game and a defense. Also, with six possible candidates off the market, they've got pretty slim pickings for coaches, unless they want to give picks for Cowher or Parcells, which would also involve talking them out of retirement, and as I've said earlier they're a team that builds through the draft, so I don't think they'll be willing to give what it takes to get either of those coaches. I just don't think they'll do very well in that division with a second tier new head coach.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO the Chargers just went from being a lock to make the playoffs to having a big question mark. Sure they have a bunch of talent but if the wrong guy gets hired they could regress. Bad move IMO. Coaching wasn't the reason they got beat in the playoffs. Thier players played poorly, not the coaches fault. SD had 15 turnovers all season but had 4 in the game. Florence also had the stupid head butt for a 15 yard penalty. How about the McCree interception where he fumbled the ball back?
    Still, San Diego had nine players voted to the Pro Bowl team and five to the All-Pro team. Whoever gets the HC job will have some talent to work with.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Probably. If one thing wasn't important in their superbowl, it was coaching. Dungy has never outcoached anyone. He never will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar