Saturday on Manning's help and labor issues

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>In a visit with Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio Tuesday afternoon, Colts center Jeff Saturday said the late boost $4 million boost in the NFL's salary cap helped him get a deal with the Colts right on the eve of becoming a free agent.</p> <p>Saturday is super private about his contract details, which have not surfaced.</p> <p>He also talked about how much he was in touch with Peyton Manning, a huge backer of Saturday's importance to the offense, throughout the process.</p> <blockquote> <p>We kept communication open. Especially up to the last portion, he would call and ask me where it was and what I thought. You know, I was very frank with him. We have that relationship where you just kind of put it all out there. And he made it very clear he wanted me to be here and he was going to do whatever he could do to try to push it. But there was only so much you could do. Really kind of the saving grace of the whole thing came with the additional cap money, cap space is what really kind of broke the thing loose.</p> </blockquote> <p>Saturday, an executive committee member of the NFLPA, also discussed the pending CBA negotiations and the bearing the economy will have on them.</p> <blockquote> <p>I don't think there [are] any winners with lockouts or whatever's been threatened and said. I think everybody is cutting their own throat at that. We all make a very good living and with the economy we are all sitting in and with what America is going through, I think the worst thing you could do is show that, Hey, none of us are going to do what we say we are going to do.' I mean show up, let's get something done, and we'll probably all have to take some lumps that we don't want to take. But that's the business, and football will be better for it if we keep that perspective in mind, that we're an entertainment industry and people pay hard-earned dollars to come watch us play and perform on Sundays and that's what we're here for. And whatever we've got to do to get our business squared away, we've got to get it done.</p> </blockquote>

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar