Sanders signs record contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desfletcher316

desfletcher316 Occasional visitor

Can't expect anything less from a vertically challenged midget.OVERATED!

2. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Honestly, the colts have one, maybe two more years.. And they will have to start cutting players. They will be competitive because of Manning, but they are headed to cap hell.

It is eerily reminiscent of the Titans last push for the SB. Cap hell has been avoided thus far because of the inflation of the cap, but mark my word, it is inevitable.

3. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

And I am guessing that you would rather have any safety on our Roster rather than Bob Sanders.....

Ludacris ...... but whatever floats your boat. I am a titans Die Hard, but I know how to take off my homer glasses and identify a true talent when I see one. But if he only hits knees, Polian must be crazy for signing him to this contract.....wonder what he knows that some of you dont.

But I agree that they should be headed for cap hell and I love that!

4. wino

wino True 2 the shoe..GO COLTS

Psychopoop obviouly knows more about the salary cap than I do...and believes he knows more about it than Bill Polian does. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we start reading about his genius in all the papers.

Bottom line: Whatever excuses you guys want to make for Polian's success go right ahead. He's widely regarded as the best GM in the league and somehow has managed to avoid 'cap hell' despite so many on this board saying it was "inevitable" for the past 6 or 7 years. Every time we sign somebody I know I can come to this board and find a dozen people ready to jump on the "Cap Hell Is Right Around The Corner For The Colts" thread. I find it amusing.

5. The Colts would be in cap trouble if not for the fact that the cap went way up over the last few years. But now they are in pretty good shape. They may not have a ton of free space to spend, but they don't have to jettison high priced guys like we did to stay under the cap or let their most valuable guys walk away in free agency.

They still can't keep everyone, but the big names all fit under the cap for now...

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

umm wasn't there a scenario last year or the year before where if it wasn't for a restructure you guys couldn't afford to sign your draft picks?

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

One of the best.
    The best is the Patriots. The Colts have not even come close to matching what the Pats have done over the same period, 3 Superbowl rings, undefeated season and still counting...

If not for the collective bargaining agreement that upped the salary cap, the Colts would be in cap hell now like everyone predicted.

8. wino

wino True 2 the shoe..GO COLTS

Two of the last three posts referenced the salary cap rising. Yeah, so? It went up for the Titans and every other team in the league, too. Yet I still see post after post about how there's no way the Colts can avoid cap hell. It's been predicted every year since Peyton signed his big contract....and it hasn't happened yet.
    Gunny mentioned a re-structuring of someone's contract to get things done (I don't really recall if that's true or not, but it really doesn't matter). Again, so what? Every team in the league either does that or CAN do that to put themselves in the position they need to be in to do what they want to do. It's not like that's cheating or anything :ha:.

I'll grant Hoffa the Patriots being one of the best since he included the Colts as one of the best, too. I'll take "Top 2" any time :)) .

All I'm saying is Polian "gets it" and does his job extremely well. From drafting to negotiating to re-negotiating....regardless of HOW he's kept the Colts out of the "inevitable cap hell" so many here have assumed was coming because of all the high-dollar contracts...they HAVE avoided it. Congrats to us!

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

The point is, the salary cap increased a great deal just when the colts needed it.

Had it happened a few years prior, the Titans could've retained much of their star talent the way the Colts have.

I do agree with you though, Polian is a great GM and he manages the cap better than Floyd did. I'm sure you guys will hit some lean years, but I doubt Manning will ever be locked out of the training facilities over a contract dispute. You colts seem to know the right people to let go and still be successful. Lots of people predicted doom for the Colts when Edge was gone, but that didnt seem to bother the Colts too much.

10. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Whistling in the graveyard. The dolts have already been "raided" of talent, the Titans have a couple of your players on the roster now. Truth is you are paying "$312,500,000.00 for 5 players. Doesn't include $$$ to throw at D. Clark or anyone else for that matter. It will come, the NFL has designed to to come, the dolts just got a fortunate break with the timing of the increases with new tv contracts. Even so the leauge and specifically the AFC South have pretty much caugth up the the dolts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar