Salary Cap Carryover

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tricky, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Who are these guys some of you are so upset about not acquiring?

I thought we did great in 2016 offseason

2017 FA pool sort of sucks FWIW

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Hightower
    Hankins
    Williams
    Poe
    Pryor
    Gerald Hodges
    Connor Barwin
    another CB

You don't exactly have to break the bank for those guys except Hightower/Williams. There were a lot of very good players out there had for relatively cheap contracts, the same sort of contracts we doled out to Sly, Cyprien and Logan Ryan.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I wouldn't have minded any of those names, but I also wasn't putting everything on getting any of them.

We did the one thing we had to do tho when we upgraded from McCourty/Cox to Ryan/rookie, thats the one move I was counting on us making to set us up for an easy draft.

Then on top we marginally upgraded SS and NT. And with the draft on its way we still stand to upgrade at 2-3 positions for opening day.

Thats a possible 6 new starters this off season. Hardily a slow day in the life of an NFL GM.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Here's a list of guys. I'm not saying we should or could have gotten all of them, but it is a list of players we should have had an interest in and some we could have gotten cheaply.

2016 Off-season Players
    OL
    Kelechi Osemele, OG/RT - Could have been our RT or a Pro Bowl OG!
    Alex Boone - very good OG.
    Mitchell Schwartz - Very good RT signed to a decent contract after KC was the only team to offer him money!

NT
    Damon (Snacks) Harrison, NT - would be an excellent base NT

Secondary
    Prince Amukamara - Solid CB for a 1yr prove it deal - well worth it compared to what we had.
    Casey Hayward - didn't get much interest so he signed on the cheap side!
    Reggie Nelson - not a long term solution but a Pro Bowler who would be very good as a FS instead of Rashad.

LB
    Nick Perry, OLB (1yr prove it)

Any two...even the most expensive two (Osemele and Snacks Harrison) would have made a big impact stuffing the run on D and giving us a pro bowl caliber starter for 2016 on and Osemele would have negated the NEED to move up for Conklin or we take Conklin anyway and have a truly dominant OL. And they wouldn't have taken up even our $20mil cap carry over from 2016.

On the cheaper side, we could have gotten Nelson at FS (2yrs at 4.25mil/yr) and 1yr deal on Amukamara ($5mill) and Hayward (3yrs at $5mil/yr) for less than $15mil of that carryover. Amukamara and Hayward would be easy to keep or discard if they didn't play well. Same with Nelson. And they would have been 3/5ths of our secondary and given us options going into this off-season.

For 2017 (assuming we signed no one new in 2016 with a $24mil carryover and upwards of $70mil to spend).

OL
    Ronald Leary, OG
    Larry Warford, OG

DL
    Brandon Williams, NT
    Poe, NT (1yr prove it deal)

LB
    Dwight Freeny, OLB
    Hightower

WR
    Terrell Pryor, WR (1yr prove it deal)
    Brandon Marshall, WR (2yr prove it deal)
    Pierre Garcon

CB
    AJ Bouye, CB

S
    Tony Jefferson

I realize that Hightower probably isn't coming here anyway, but he's on the list. leary or Warford would upgrade our OL and that's important since we are a smashmouth football team. brandon Williams would have made up for missing out on 'snacks' and given us a star NT. While Poe wasn't on my original list, I would have taken him for a one year flyer. Maybe he could teach Johnson a thing or two.

Dwight Freeny would only come if he felt we were contenders but he still has a little juice left as a backup rusher but also to teach some young guys behind Rak and Morgan! Pryor was also not on my original go get list but for a 1 yr flyer, I would take him. I'd also have taken Marshall on a 2yr deal. With steady QB play, he's still a problem for 1v1 cb's. Pierre Garcon is just a very good WR who could start for us...filling at least one hole.

Bouye is a risk, and while he's not too fast, he is very technically sound. If we were paying McCourty $7mil, Bouye was worth 10-12/yr. I'd also structure it so we could get out after one yr without crazy cap damage. He went to the Jags for more so maybe we don't get him, but we were also a much better team than the Jags so maybe he comes here for a bit less.

Add Brandon Williams at NT, Leary at OG and Pryor at WR and we have a lot fewer holes for next season and the future simply for the carryover cap money!!!

To me, this is a no brainer! In either off-season, we could have added 2 high quality players or more!

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

without disrupting our cap to sign both Lewan and Mariflota long-term in 3 yrs. BAM!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar