Rules you'd change

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Finnegan2win, Oct 16, 2023.

1. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

What are some rules that need adjusting / eliminated?

1) Defensive Pass Interference - go to 15 yards, no more of this garbage *underthrow a 40 yarder to make the defender run into the WR for free yards*.. sick of that. Can it be abused? probably. Is it already being abused? yes. Change it to 15 yards and neither side gets entirely ****ed

2) Pushing ball carrier - get rid of this, even before Philly was doing it I said how chicken**** it was. And not just having 7 guys push the QB.. linemen pushing a RB, stop. If the defense can't use "leverage" then why does the offense?

3) QB slide - get rid of this, if the QB wants to be a RB, then they can get hit like a RB. This is abused way too much because the QB knows how scared the defenders are

4) Running into the kicker - protect the kicker? ok.. call a penalty if the defender grazes the kicker and then acts like he got shot? gtfo. If the blocker is going sideways to the kicker and hits the leg on the way down, no penalty. If the blocker is going straight at the kicker and hits him, penalty.

5) Automatic first downs - these need to go away. 5 yard penalties that grant an automatic first down are nonsense. There is absolutely no reason a 3rd and 20 should be negated by a slight hold 6 yards downfield

add more

• Cheers Cheers x 3
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Agree with 1-3.

I believe the kicker rule should change similar to the face mask to only 1 type and it really should be egregious. Kicker should also receive a DoG for flopping.

agree on auto firsts, specifically the defensive holding in the secondary. That penalty specifically, I’ve been vocal about for multiple years. 5 yard penalty is fine, NO FD unless less than 5 to go.

for different- the enforcement of holding and roughing the passer.
    holding just needs more consistency.
    Roughing the passer should be all but eliminated. Almost none of what is flagged today is an illegal hit.
    Hand to the head- nonsense. That’s what the helmet is for.
    Pushed over after ball is gone- should be a 2 1000 count at least.
    Blindside hit should be totally legal.
    And again, a Delay of Game if QB flops.

league wide should enforce Delay of Game for any player that cried for a flag BUT all penalties should be reviewable by coaches challenge. Including non-calls.
    Give coaches challenge back to 3 per half at least until there is any proof these full-time refs are going to improve.

Do not review “all” TO and scores. Only the questionable ones.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  3. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

You reminded me about challenges.. there should be no limit to *when* a coach can challenge.. i never understood the whole "only the booth can review in last 2 minutes".. i can't recall if they got rid of that but if they didn't, they should

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  4. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

When a player breaks off a big gain and it's called back due to a hold, but the DL/LB is 20 yards back and has nothing at all to do with the play. Hate that nonsense with a passion.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Every team can have a 3rd emergency QB active without counting against the active 48. If the emergency QB comes in, the first two cannot re-enter the game to avoid teams abusing the rule with a mobile QB for gadget plays.

• Cheers Cheers x 3
  6. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Pushing the ball carrier used to be illegal. I have no idea why that changed. It's extremely stupid.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Just the ball has to break the plane for RBs but WRs need to catch it, 2 feet in and maintain control, this needs to change...the player should have to cross the plane with control not just he ball breaking it

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I actually like those rules including getting rid of the old subjective “pushed out” rule for WR.

maybe tweek the infinite EZ/pylon

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  9. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I agree the pylon rule is stupid as well

10. titanflamer

titanflamer Starter

I think they decided it was legal since it was a judgement call to whether they would have been in bounds or not

• Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar