Roydell officially fighting for his job

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by reo, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Unlike most of our wr r.williams can catch and can get seperation. I do not understand why we took him off the pup when we know he is not healthy ? He could have helped us maybe mid year! But my question is why is Paul Williams still on this team? What about Edward Williams? He looked like a prospect to me and has not given any pt except on special teams to me he should get a look in a game.

2. reo

reo Starter

How many times do people have to say it?? His ankle isn't getting any better. Its as good as its going to get until they take the screws out at the end of the season. PUP wouldn't have done anything.

And Roydell has had his fair share of drops and trouble getting seperation. He disappeared for most of the year last year. Gage out played him w/ less playing time.

3. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

Roydell did finish the season strong. He was clearly one of the top two receivers on the team at the end of the season. It's not as if the Titans added a bunch of better receivers during the offseason. When he is healthy, he has to be considered one of the top receivers on this team.

Gage had a few more yards, the same amount of catches, and less TD's. How is that out playing Williams? I get that Gage probably had less playing time, but still. They had very similar seasons. And Gage is considered the Titans number 1 receiver.

4. reo

reo Starter

you just answered your own question. Gage did the same as Roydell but w/ a lot less paying time. If he'd have had the same amount of playing time as RW then odds are, he'd have done better.

If one player had 10 catches for 500 yds (intentionally exaggerated case) in 2 games and another player had the same stats in 16 games, which is the better WR? Their stats are similar but are they? Gage had about the same stats as Roydell but w/ less playing time.

but anyway, we're getting off on a tangent. personally, i think roydell is about as average as they come.

5. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

Do you have a link that shows actual playing time? Just because Roydell started more games than Gage doesn't mean he had considerably more playing time. I would like to see some numbers on that. Anybody know where to find that kind of info?

Whether or not Roydell is average is not the point. He might be, but he is still one of the better receivers on this team. That's all I'm saying.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It sounds like reliability is the concern here. Can R. Williams, with his issues, out perform Ealy, Davis or P. Williams?

I don't know if they can outright cut him if he's hurt. Wouldn't that fall into the same situation the team released Woolfolk last year? They made an injury settlement even though the Titans probably would have cut him.

7. reo

reo Starter

They might have to reach some sort of injury settlement but they could release him.

Here's something I posted on another board that I haven't seen discussed. I'm not sure if its likely but this would be a way for the Titans to hang onto all their WRs for another year.

McCareins
    Gage
    Jones
    Hawkins
    R.Williams
    P.Williams
    C.Davis

Ealy (back on Practice Squad)

Ealy is still eligible. You have to play in 9 or more games to not be. Ealy made it to the PS last year and he hasn't exactly done much in the preseason to draw attention to himself. Davis or PW might be able to make it but I'm pretty sure Ealy would.

Not saying it'd happen but it'd be a way to keep all of the young guys.

Personally, I'd lean toward doing the same but dropping Roydell for Ealy... but we'll see.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I say we trade for Boldin. At least pick up someone. I really don't like any of our WR's. I like Jones but he can't stay healthy, I like P. Williams but he hasn't done anything, Ealy I haven't seen enough, Hawkins is a rookie, J-Mac I don't know, Gage is the only consistant one but with his new contract who knows if he'll have the same season since he's not worried about a job. I never liked C. Davis.

So I'm a little upset.

9. DLS33

DLS33 Guest

Potential just means he has not done it yet. He has had three full years of significant playing time and to be honest I would rather see some of the younger guys get a chance e.g Ealy and Hawkins.. Just my opinion though

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I don't think anyone thinks that R. Williams is a superstar, but I'd rather have him at 80% than Paul Williams or Chris Davis at 105%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar