Roughing the Passer?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Stephenson, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Did you know that there is no pass interference on a fake punt/field goal-pass play. You can literally closeline the receivers and not get flagged for it if they fake a punt or field goal and try to pass the ball. Just thought I would add that obscure NFL rule to your archives.

2. Daves not here

Daves not here Camp Fodder

I'm still wondering why no one stepped up for Vince after he got body slammed ... not one lineman jumped in their to start or finish anything ... that is one play that certainly makes me go hhhmmm

3. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Because that would've given us a flag and -15 yards. No reason to be stupid.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yep. Roos got a 15 yarder when he tried to get killer ray off of CJs legs in the PO game - Ref saw that but not the intentional injury. Just like refs saw Finnegan defending himself but not his helment getting ripped off.

5. costarica2

costarica2 Banned forever

Did Fish said anything about this??????????????????????????????

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I don't see why penalties can't be challenged, honestly. Some are a big deal, and just like possession or field position they are subject to what a ref sees or doesn't see. Why not let a coach challenge a holding call or even a missed personal foul?

The league regularly reviews games and hands out fines for things that weren't flagged during the game. So how can a player be fined for something that the refs deemed legal? If something was not legal and the refs missed it, why shouldn't a coach be allowed to challenge it?

To me a rule is a rule - I understand some things can't be challenged for good reason. If a whistle blows, and a team recovers a fumble you can't challenge possession since the whistle ended the play. But a foot out of bounds is no different than a hold or roughing the passer to me. Rulebook defines what it is, ref makes a judgment call, coaches can ask for a review of that call to be sure it in fact matches the rulebook.

7. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

When I watched Harrison pile drive Vince I expected multiple flags to fly in, but nada. It was so obvious and with the babying of QB's around the league... see Suggs hit on Palmer, it should have been called. The officials killed us that game, not to say we would have won but we would have been in much better shape. The holding call on Amano was pretty questionable, was it a hold yeah he got grabbed a bit, but holds like that happen on almost every play so it was a pretty weak call. And not calling PI on McFadden on the Gage play at the end of the game was BS. Total contact before the ball gets there and the defender wasn't playing the ball at all, didn't even have his head turned. That is PI plain and simple... Funny how the Steelers always win the battle of officiating.

8. LTF

LTF Starter

This is starting to remind me of why I stopped watching NBA. When rules are different for different player it open up a bunch of opportunities for refs to be on the take and it happened. Not to mention that it has to be a level playing field to be a fair game. That is a flag and ejections if that was on Manning not to mention all over ESPN for weeks. NFL need to be careful to keep its integrity or they will be the next NBA.

9. cdy_hitt

cdy_hitt Senior...

Haha that's all he did in college. I go to the University of Mount Union (just changed from Mount Union College) where Pierre Graduated from last May. My brother actually sat next to Pierre during the graduation ceremony. He may be a Colt but he has my respect because he came back to campus during the spring semester that past two years to finish his degree. He would eat in the cafeteria and hang out in the dorms just like an average college student..kinda cool

10. titanflamer

titanflamer Starter

No, the refs were watching our offensive linemen for holding in case CJ broke a long run and they needed to issue a penalty and call it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar