Rookie QB impact... ramifications for McNair?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Yes they did jeff...

Joe montana's back was so bad they thought his career might be done at 30. He suffered a horrible concussion in the 86 playoff game and broke his wrist. He missed 15 games in his last year with the 49ers.

Young had a history of concussions that caused him to quit just one season after making the probowl.

I'm not suggesting mcnair will be winning MVPs beyond age 35. All i'm suggesting is that he has some good football left in him at 33 and 34. With the titans working so hard to build a good team why would we want to dump the guy who has been the guts of this team? Every aspect of this offense can be better in 2006. The o-line, the running game, the WR. Maybe we draft dbrick to improve the line even more. Maybe we trade down and draft deangelo williams.

Mcnair is a better than average nfl QB and should be better than average for at least 2 more seasons.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

The thing that scares me is that last year McNair was reported to be at his best physically in many years, yet he still had to sit out and awful lot with injuries.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Wrong. He only missed 2 games.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I love McNair as much as anyone but he isn't going to take the Titans back to a Super Bowl if the last two seasons have been any indication. Even when he plays on Sunday, he often times doesn't practice during the week. That may have been fine with veteran WRs but the young receivers need work with their QB.

But even if McNair can stay relatively healthy, this team is going to be primed to make a their biggest runs in '07 and beyond. Are you wanting McNair at the helm then? If not, who is the Titans QB when the team is ready to challenge? Do you pull in a QB from free agency or hope they have someone they've developed through the draft ready to step in and take over?

I think getting a QB via the draft is the best way for that to happen. And for that QB to be ready by '07 or '08, then you draft him in '06.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mcnair would have missed one game...

If that last game was essential to making the playoffs mcnair would have been out there.

He only missed 2 games, could have played one of them and was not racked with numerous minor injuries.

He doesn't run as much and while that takes that edge off his game that helped make him an elite player it also helps to keep him healthy.

In 2003 steve won the mvp sitting in the pocket throwing to the many solid weapons we had. We had a lot of good receivers that year and 2006-2007 can be like that. No rookie WR, better running game and the addition of givens.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff...

We didn't sign all these free agents to compete beyond 2007. That's 4 significant signings of starting players and of course we will be drafting high for the second straight year.

Even if we draft vince young he may need a couple of years to be ready to play at a very high level. So we have steve for that time with vince holding a clip board. If that's what we do. We will still draft a QB even if it is not with the third pick. Omar jacobs in rd 2 or someone else later.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

This time last year a lot fewer people imagined life w/out Steve in 06. It seems like now there is a money issue, people think losing him would give us a dramatic improvement. Are you kidding? Let's see. Rookie, Billy or Steve...Steve clearly gives the team the best chance for success in 06. Yes, we definitely need to draft his replacement now (it won't get any better), but I for one hope we give him that two to four year deal to alleviate some of the cap pressure his current contract is causing. RT makes a good point about some of those QBs later successes. Steve may or may not see years that good at the end of his career, but how can you not want that for him on our team? So he may retire. So he may move on to another team that appreciates him more. So he may suck. He deserves the chance to lead this team another year. If he tears it up, the naysayers aren't going to then say "let him go" or "bench him." That kind of controversy would be welcome.

I am sort of tempted to draft D'Brickashaw and see how well the offense improves, but drafting a QB is a must this year (Omar Jacobs in the 2nd if we draft D'Brick). OL is also a high priority, and because of that, I think when Sirmon returns and still expresses his desire to leave, signing Griesen would be the way to go (he shouldn't cost that much) then we draft OT (more likely) or OG (less likely) in the 2nd.

Though the FA QB signings have weakened the value of the top picks somewhat, I would consider if I were Reese trading with a team like the Jets or Raiders, and I would tempt them by dropping the value somewhat, less than what NO wants. I'd take maybe a 1st/2nd and future pick. We'd still get our QB (I doubt if we were at #7 that someone tries to trade with GB or SF to get a QB) and have two picks in round two, where we could address OL and best talent, whether it's LB/S or other. We'd have added some value and satisfied those who are unsure about drafting Cutler or Young at #3, meaning, if we're going to take them, it's better to take them and get an extra pick out of it. Finally, Volek should be moved at some point for a 3rd. That way we could spend the draft on those last couple of holes, then going after pure talent.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

No, they didn't. But if you think adding them all of a sudden makes the Titans a Super Bowl contender, I'd say you're putting far too much into the signings.

I agree. Keep McNair. Groom whoever they draft for a year or so. But address the future QB now while you have a number of quality options. That's why the Titans will take a QB with the third pick unless someone gives them the farm in a trade.

9. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Mcnair had a bad season last year and I attest that to poor recievers more than anything. When you have to rely on Drew Bennett as your #1 you know your in bad shape. Givens will give us a second legitimate threat at the very least which is something we didn't have last year. We've got some good young WR's and I would look for them to improve quite a bit this year giving Steve some nice targets to throw to.

As for which QB we're going to take, who knows... Who ever we get isn't going to see much pt this year anyway. And as for the idea that they cut Mcnair and let a rookie QB take over, I would amazed if that happened.

10. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Young had concussion problems, but none of these guys was as injury prone as McNair. McNair can't even slide without getting hurt these days. I think he gets a two year deal ('06 and '07). The starting job is his for one year. We draft a QB (I hope it's Leinart at #3). If by chance McNair has a good year and stays relatively injury free in '06, he stays for '07 and competes for the starting job. If not, he's cut, the kid takes over, we take the managable cap hit, and move on.

Remember, this is a guy who has been talking about retirement for two years.....and HE'S NOT Brett Favre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar