Rookie QB impact... ramifications for McNair?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Sorry everyone... another stupid Bipolar thread... I can't seem to help myself...

ok... By reading everyones posts for the last few months I have made a conclusion... but it's kinda silly... but, I know I'm not the only one who has looked at it this way... so, I thought I'd create yet another thread to see if this theory can be validated... anyways... it's about what the impact of a 1st round pick being spent on QB... There has always been a ton of talk about Vince Young and McNair the mentor... we'll that scenario has become less likely IMO. First, I think there is very little chance that Vince Young will be drafted by the Titans, but if he was, McNair would have to start.

But, I've noticed that Jay Cutler has been getting more and more love. In the opinions of some he is no longer a reach to pick at #3. I never would have thought that a month ago. You people actually got me to drink the Cutler Kool-aide... amazing...

Then there is Matt Leinart, who IMO, is very under rated on this board. Maybe Leinart is what Brian and I believe him to be... that is a long term solution to the qb position. I think he could be the next Peyton Manning or Ben Rothlisberger... people knock on his toughness and arm strenth and lack of mobility... Sounds like Tom Brady... what a loser that Tom Brady is...[​IMG]

Speaking of toughness and arm strenth... that brings us to Jay Cutler... Toughness and arm strenth is his middle name... Jay Cutler is the ultimate anti-Peyton IMO. I'm a Vol fan... much more a Titan/NFL fan than a Vol/SEC fan anyways... so what, I can't stand Manning, but you know what? Neither can alot of Volunteer fans...:neener: Bottom line, nothing would be sweeter than beating Peyton with Commodore at the helm...

Ok... so this thread is intended to explore what it may mean for McNair if any of these picks are taken. (and you know one will be)...

also factor this... with Vince Young getting all the terrible press... there may be some GM's that won't look at him. I've heard he could fall out of the top 10? That may be one qb we could trade picks to get... that could mean we could garner an extra third rounder maybe... that scenario is very unlikely...
    but still...

What it might boil too...
    with selecting Matt Leinart might McNair be cut?
    with selecting Jay Cutler might McNair be cut?
    are the Titans considering Vince Young at all?
    can you get a qb you want by trading out of #3?
    what about Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger?

Manning had decent passing #'s as a rookie
    the '04 Steelers won 15 games.

Who says a rookie can't play?
    Why do the Titans talk about how high they are on Billy Volek yet they demonstrate no faith in him?
    Is 10 million or so FA dollars tempting at all?
    Is a McNair trade possible at all or is that just fantasy?
    If we could trade him are we any better off cap-wise for '06?
    How much blame can you hang on McNair for our poor offense?
    Do QB's really need practice?:sad2:

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think it will all play out about the same regardless. McNair will stay in '06 and the rookie will start in '07.

Ideally, if the Titans took Young, you'd hope McNair was around in '07 but I doubt we'll see McNair willing to "step down". I think he'd retire instead if the Titans extend him at some point after the draft.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

I've noticed some think that we should extend McNair for 3 years.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We will not draft a QB #3...

We will take mario or dbrick and then compete for a super bowl next year.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

or Reggie.

i'd rather take The Brick if it were between Brick and Mario. And then when Freeney is a Free Agent next season, get him. :brow:

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

That is a bold prediction.
    That makes us a playoff team then, right?

In all seriousness, if McNair is "Dare McNair terrific"...
    that has a real shot... wildcard anyone?

7. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

The free agent moves we've made point to a win this year mentality. If so, Fisher can't trust that to a rookie QB. If Billy was the answer, we'd have cut Steve by now. Bottom line, Jeff is right. If and when we extend McNair, it will be for 3-4 years (for cap purposes) with nothing guaranteed after the second year....in substance a two year deal, then two one year deals similar to the reports of TO's deal with Dallas.

Bipolar - I have been thinking about a trade down myself. Unless QB's go 1-2, a trade down to about #6-7 could be a possibility.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Consider this...

When steve young was almost 37 years old he had his best season statistically. Joe montana made the pro bowl at age 37 with the chiefs. Trent green just completed his third straight 4000 yard season at ages 33.34.35. Steve just turned 33 last month.

Rich gannon won an mvp at age 37 and made 4 straight pro bowls at ages 34,35,36,37.

Why then is it so outrageous to think that steve could have 2-3 quality seasons left?

He has no history of concussions unless we count the ones he has given other people, no major knee surgery of the kind culpepper and palmer have now had. His throwing arm is fine. He is just a couple of seasons removed from an mvp. He is keeping himself in better shape, keeping the weight off. And this year he will have all kinds of weapons to throw to.

This guy is clearly a better than average QB, a proven winner and we talk about him like he is a pile of crap.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Go back and see if those older QBs you mention also had as many injury issues as McNair has throughout their careers.

10. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I hope you're right on this RollTide. As enticing as those three young QB's are, look how cheaply some pretty decent QB's were acquired this off season; former MVP Cullpepper for a second round pick, Brees, a playoff and pro bowl QB, an unrestricted FA, former first rounder Ramsey for a sixth... You certainly didn't see any big time left tackles or DE's coming that cheaply. Look at UFA o-lineman Hutchinson from Seattle, Minnesota signs him to a virtually unmatchable offer sheet and yet Seattle still is contemplating matching it (and risking future salary cap hell).

Are rookie QB's being devalued, much like veteran RB's? Is it perhaps better to let someone else pay them for the first four years of "apprenticing", then pick them up at a discounted rate when they become free agents or lose the confidence of their organization (kind of like Harrington)?

I actually don't mind the idea of taking Omar Jacobs in the second, so we don't have to commit so much coin on an unproven QB.

I think first build a strong, cohesive team and only after that is accomplished should you address the QB situation, that seems to be the way to go in the current NFL. I say draft D'Brick and see how the season plays out. If we feel the QB position needs to be addressed next off season I'm sure Floyd can do so at a price far less than the 3rd pick in the draft.

Hopefully this is coherent, I'm sleep deprived today so my brain is a tad addled (more so than usual even)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar