Rookie contracts & the CBA?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JohnnyTitan, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyTitan

JohnnyTitan Camp Fodder

What will be the effect on rookie contracts if the CBA is not extended? Will we be taking a bigger hit, cap wise, than a typical year? Am I correct in thinking that we will only be able to spread the signing bonus over 2yrs instead of the usual 4-5yrs? Just wondering if having a higher pick will be more costly than in previous years, beside the normal increase from year to year, because of the lack of a CBA.

2. The Don

The Don Upsetting The Apple Cart

I posed this question to Floyd on Friday, during Plaster's show.

Reese was very concerned, and very troubled about this exact situation, in the event that no CBA is reached. Floyd stated that he spoke with an agent, who told him that in all probability, the top ten picks would not be signing contracts.

For this reason alone it is important for the players union and the league to get this worked out.

3. metal957

metal957 Starter

Uhhhh ye that would suck

4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think it is the agents that are most concerned because they stand to lose a bunch of money. If you look at the previous 2 top picks they received contracts totaling around 50mil, with about 20mil in upfront signing bonus. The rookies this yr can't get a SB of over 12 mil because it can only be prorated 4 yrs and because the 30%rule will cause them to have to have higher base salaries. Thus to fit under the rookie cap pool the SB can't be like previous yrs. The contracts could still have just as much guaranteed money by making the base salaries guaranteed throughout the contract.

The guy who would make out is the owner. I think the CBA will get done tomorrow so we won't have to worry about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar