Ron Jaworski

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titans92790, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Do you think in any possible way that anyone posting here thinks we are building a college team?

You are not nearly as clever or smart as you think you are.

Certainly when evaluating talent for the NFL, you have to look beyond the statistics. (That's also helpful in other areas of life, like investing) But statistics tell part of the story. As you've alluded to above, if you just take a look at all passing statistics it can tell you who had good or bad seasons. When you look further into what opponents they played and (more importantly) what system they were in, it tells a further story. As you suggest, a spread offense is very different than say what AJ McCarron led in Alabama.

Your idea that statistics don't matter at all is BS though. If a defensive lineman has all the measurables but has had two sacks in 3 seasons starting, well that is alarming. Could provide lots of hypotheticals but unlike you are doing, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you can comprehend what I (and others) are saying.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Hey good job sticking it to em the first 6 pages of this thread

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

The first 3 rounds is a little absurd.

4. JCBRAVE

Youre a psychologist? o_O

Yesterday you said Battle is better than Greene, youve been writing yourself prescriptions huh.....

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Somewhere in this thread what I said has gotten twisted into this. Did I say stats don't matter? No. I said they don't matter in the draft process. People keep throwing out all the records, those are great, but what he does the guy do that works at an NFL level? I mean, I read a paragraph of Johnny Manziel stats and records as to why he will be a great NFL player. Get the **** out of here with that nonsense.

Am I going to look at how many yards Devonte Freeman had vs Ka'deem Carey and draw my conclusion there? No. I'll see that Freeman split carries with two other backs that had over 500 yards and still had over 1,000 while Carey had 1,900+ on double the carries. Which is more impressive? To me it's the guy who split carries, catches the ball out of the backfield and blocks(Freeman).

6. JCBRAVE

No its not, Fry knows exactly whats up.

Mike Hart, fantastic college RB, did what in the NFL? Javon Ringer, fabulous college RB, did what in the NFL? LaMichael James, awesome college RB, did what in the NFL? Ken Dorsey, best college QB of his time, did what in the NFL?

College production does not equal NFL success, its a whole other game than NCAA.

7. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

C'mon guys. Schools like Texas Tech and Houston have proven that certain stats, particularly QB stats can be so inflated as to be almost made useless. This isn't track and field you can't just look at a results sheet and decide who the better guy is or how his abilities will translate to the next level. Watching the guy's tape and taking into account the level of his competition is how NFL decision makers inform themselves.

Some stats like INTs and Sacks are very indicative of a guy's skill level but stats like passing TD's and pass percentage are often misleading. This way all good QBs will have good passing stats, but passing stats themselves don't equal a good QB. Manziel was electric in college, incredible to watch but so have been many dominating college players who couldn't transition to the pros.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

In a pro-style offense, no less.

9. JCBRAVE

Its a tricky process, I mean you dont want to only draft workout warriors like Tyron Calico and Chris Henry, players you target should have some history, but stats are not king at this time in the process. Guys like JPP would never go as high as he did if stats meant as much as some of you believe.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

You said "College stats literally mean nothing throughout the draft process." Page 3.

Wrong. They do mean something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar