Robin Williams dead at 63

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SawdustMan, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

I may get flak for this.. growing up I enjoyed his movies but the last couple years, probably longer.. he's been constantly vulgar to the point of annoying and never seemed to be out of character.. it just really got annoying and changed the way I saw him. Can't say I'm broken up about it..

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I will say this and then I'm done, cause this is a topic I don't want to sit here and go around in circles on.

Of course it needs to be pushed that suicide is not an answer. Is that not the case? I've never seen/heard anyone advocating suicide as an answer to life's problems. But to call a dead person "selfish" or "coward" when you have ZERO CLUE what was going on in their life and inside their head is pretty damn pathetic if you ask me.

E.G. Bipolar is a LEGITIMATE disorder of the brain. And the brain is the organ which controls emotions and thought processes. You do the math.

Me too. And he was probably the kindest, funniest man in the whole family. And the last one I'd have ever expected to do something like that. Which only reaffirms my stance on this issue. He loved his family and specifically his daughter. And I know he never would've wanted to put her through any pain or trauma. But clearly the pain he was feeling inside consumed him and was so intense that he wasn't able to think clearly and rationally. I wish he'd been able to see through the fog and come to a different decision. But he didn't. And I'm certainly not going to sit here and call him selfish.

• High Five High Five x 6
  3. RTH

RTH Meh...

100% accurate.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

You won't but I will. His action was selfish and it hurt his family. That doesn't make him a bad person. But suicide is a selfish action. As you said, it's the pain HE is feeling inside, it was intense for HIM, it was all about HIM. And unfortunately his action has consequences beyond himself, as you and I know.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I honestly haven't seen him in anything lately. I think the most recent movie I saw him in was the first Night at the Museum.

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I didn't doubt for one second that you would.

7. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

I agree with both. The ACT of suicide is extremely selfish. But no one knows what he was going through.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

I haven't watched a movie of his in a long time, it was just tv appearances on late night shows or or basically any time i would see him he'd be cussing every 3 words and always in character, it just got really old for me

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

his career has definitely been on the downslide since at least 2000.

What about that one hour photo movie.. weird huh?

It's crazy to think, that killing himself at age 63, he still outlived 3 of my 4 grandparents.

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I just think you have to look at each individual situation. Mom takes away your iPhone or PS4 and you off yourself? You can make an argument that was a selfish act. Boyfriend breaks up with you and you off yourself? Again, you can make an argument that was a selfish act. But if you've been fighting a legitimate brain disorder for 50 years and it finally gets the best of you? I think it's pretty freaking s***** to call that person selfish.

My whole point was you can't paint suicide in black and white. There are simply too many different factors in each individual case. I've unfortunately known several people who have killed themselves. Some had legitimate brain disorders like bipolar. Some had no diagnosed mental illness but just seemed to be in a rut. And there's even one guy who seemed happy as could be, but just got drunk as a skunk one night and ended up pulling out his gun and blowing his brains out after a stupid argument with his GF.

Those are just my experiences and you can see how drastically different they are. So I would never have the balls to label every single person who commits suicide (nearly one million each year, world-wide) as "this" or "that".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar