Robert ayers is the man!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You can't take one guy's pro day and compare it to another guy's combine. Name a player who actually ran a worse pro day.

That's total bullcrap!

You can't just compare players running at the same venue on the same turf in the same conditions? That's too sensible for you?

How dishonest it is to list ayers nfl.com time but every other player is listed by their nfl draft scout times. And if that is blatantly dishonest enough you want to cherry pick a player's best time.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I said he improved his time but i didn't compare ayers pro day times with another players combine times. To do so would make me a dishonest person.

An improved pro day time simply suggests to me that the player MAY have not done their best at the combine.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

You're funny...

Really? I think I proved my point and telling you exactly where and how I got my numbers. Seems hardly dishonest...

I only used official combine times or verified Pro Day times. I didn't use any times that nfldraftscout made up.

[quoteWell nfl draft scout has ayers running a 4.77![/quote]

Since there is no source for that time, I didn't use it...just as I discarded any fast time I couldn't verify.

And I said I used them, BUT I check my work...meaning if I don't have a good reason to believe a time they put, I DON'T use it...as in Ayers mysterious 4.77. If you look at a lot of the times they list for 40 when you look at players as a list, a lot of those times are off. If you go to each player and read the descriptions...especially there pro days...in general, you will have an accurate number. I also checked their pro day numbers against at least one other person's to make sure THOSE weren't made up.

Yes, I noticed you discount all players who didn't run at the combine, don't believe a player can improve a time, and ignore all pro day information.

To bad NFL teams RELY on this info to move players up or down on their draft boards.

I didn't assume they are faster...they RAN faster!!! And what caliber player they are has no bearing on the discussion of whether a DE's 4.90 speed at 272lbs is slow. The FACT that there are NUMEROUS players who will go undrafted who have as good or BETTER 40 times PROVES that 4.90 is a slow time for a 272lb DE.

You can dream...

Gut

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Lol...

A 255lb English running a 4.74. I believe this HELPS my point...

Ayers played for Tenn. He CHOSE not to run at their pro day...probably because he didn't think he could better his time of 4.90. Why else would he NOT run? If he thought he could improve his time...it'd likely make him MILLIONS of dollars.

Only downside of not running is running the same speed or worse...confirming he's slow. He wasn't injured, so he could have (SHOULD HAVE) run if he's faster than 4.90.

Gut

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Huh?

Why can't I compare a guys combine number to a pro day number? NL teams and scouts do...why can't we?

As for a player who ran worse on their pro day? No problem. DJ Moore. NFL.com has his 40 at 4.56. Here's his pro day results...

"Vanderbilt Pro day: CB D.J. Moore (5-9, 184 pounds) ran a 4.59 and 4.57 in the 40 with a 5-10 mph wind at his back. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com"

And that was with a tail wind! Point proved.

I could, but that wouldn't be accurate. I don't discount pro days, combine invitees who chose not to run, nor uninvited players.

I listed the ONLY accurate time we have for Ayers. He chose not to run at his pro day. And cherry picking? Did you pick Ayers fastest or slowest time with no source? His fastest without any indication of where that number came from...and nothing to back it up.

You are the ONLY person in this discussion who gave a number without a confirmed source (Ayers 4.77 40).

So Ayers wouldn't necessarily run faster because the combine is 'slower'...as proved by DJ Moore's SLOWER Pro Day time. The ONLY way to compare Ayers is to use his best accurate time...4.90. The other players I compared his to RAN faster times. That's the fact!

Gut

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

This is fun...

I'm sure the players that worked out extremely hard for an extra month or so would be happy to hear that you discount all the extra work they did to improve their times at there pro day. Do you think in 2 tries at the combine, they didn't give there best effort? Even IF that were so, they SHOULD be then running in their pro day after busting their tail for a month or so. Guys like Ayers who don't and had slow times at the combine raise a flag!

If you said Ayers improved his time on his Pro Day...then obviously you are using his combine time for comparison to his pro day time or you wouldn't say IMPROVED. Therefore, you compared a combine time to a pro day time. Why wouldn't you. He improved his time. Can you say he DIDN'T improve those times?

Gut

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut has to lie to prove he isn't dishonest?

Lie!
    Only 1 player on your list had a time that jived with the combine times and he did not run a pro day. 2 players out of 10 that ran in the combine! Total lie!

English ran a 4.88 at the combine which proves your dishonesty. Instead of using his time from the same venue that ayers ran his 4.90 you cherry picked the better time at a venue ayers never ran at. The huge difference the pro day time and the combine proves how unreliable pro days are to compare. .14 difference!

Like mcgee who ran .21 faster on his pro day than the combine another example of your dishonesty cherry picking the better time only. Ayers fried mcgee on the same field with the same clock.

I'm not going to argue with someone who can't even present data in a fair and honest way. Many pro day 40 times are so outrageously better than the combine you can't believe them. Everyone knows that 99% of players will sport a better pro day time so to compare one players pro day time to another players combine is outrageously retarded.

46 friggin defensive linemen ran a 40 at that combine genius. Let's compare those times only. 46!

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Amusing...

LOL...that is funny!

Here is my quote..."I only used official combine times or verified Pro Day times."

Prove I'm a liar. Please list the player(s) I listed that don't have an official combine number or a verified pro day number. Thank you. I won't even demand a retraction!

While you would like me to ignore the 20+ players that ran faster (at the combine or in pro days), to do so would be completely innaccurate. It is silly to eliminate pro day results considering it is vital to NFL teams and YOU YOURSELF have commented on how Ayers improved 2 times in his pro day. You can't say how much he improved at his pro day and then say it doesn't count...

You said players are always faster in pro days and asked me to show you a player who ran SLOWER. I did. And yet you still claim pro day times are invalid because they're too fast? I PROVED THIS NOTION TO BE FALSE. Maybe you chose not to read that part. There is a VERY good reason players run FASTER at pro days. It's called TRAINING!!! It's the same reason players get better verticals (which can't be affected by different surfaces) or lift 225lbs with more reps (is that affected by astroturf?). If you ran a 40 today and then trained at it for a month or so, you'd be surprised at how much faster you could run!

And what number did you use for Ayers in saying he's the man? His slowest time? The avg of his times? When comparing players...YOU CHOSE the fastest time...just like everyone else (though you're calling everyone ELSE a liar - classy). Only difference between you and me is...I get a confirmed # before I put it up there.

I know you're not going to argue with me on this. You can't win. All you can do is call me names...and not actually counter any point I've made with facts.

And FYI, the original debate had nothing to do with combine vs pro days...it had to do with whether a 272lb DE running a 4.90 was slow. The FACT that many players who ran this time or faster at heavier weights, proves that a 272lb DE who runs a 4.90 is SLOW for his position.

Here endeth the debate.

Gut:cool:

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Perhaps somebody with an analytical thought might have noticed that this was the very first combine in this stadium on this turf and taking 2 seconds to look at the 40 times tells us that they were slower this year.

Best RB time was 4.45. When was the last time you saw that? 7 RBs were faster last year.

Best CB time was darius butler with a 4.46. In a typical combine there are 8 CBs with sub 4.40 times. In the 2006 combine there were 18 CBs with better times than that.

How do i know these things? I looked them up!

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Final word on robert ayers..

First team all sec in the top conference in the country.

15 1/2 tackles for loss.

Great senior bowl

Ranked # 31 overall great blue north

Ranked 31 overall nfl draft countdown

Ranked 32 by nfl draft consensus

It's hardly some outrageous concept to think that he might be the best player on the board.

Only 1 defensive lineman who weighs over 270 ran a better 40 time at the combine.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/518624

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar