Ridiculous salaries..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

So do it with minorities, women, or immigrants in america. The point is - you're making what many others would probably consider ridiculous. And you'd probably pout if you didn't get your xmas bonus, raises, etc.
    Why? Who are you? We make what we're worth.

pretty easy.

2. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I think the word you're looking for is 'overpaid'.
    Depending on what 'ridiculous' would refer to in the gloat dictionary, 'ridiculous' to me is salary x 100 rather than salary x 2 or 3 which is probably what you're referring to.

3. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Hold on, hold on. I tell you, if I hear one more person whining about NFL salaries and players are overpaid....

It's the nature of the business. The NFL is a billion dollar industry and it's the players who drive the revenue. TV money is the brass ring. Having your team on Monday Night Football, and now Sunday night football is the goal of every player and team owner. MNF and SNF tv ads cost more, due to that game being the only one at the time. The teams that get to play on MNF/SNF are the not always who's winning, but who has the players that everyone wants to see. Also, team owners share the profit of jersey sales.

Vince Young's jersey was one of the top selling jersey's. Vince can't go create his own jersey and sell it for profit. He can get some endorsement deals through other businesses, but he can't go out and make money off of his own jersey sales, directly. How does Vince or any player share in the success they've created for their teams? They fight for a lucrative contract.

NFL players know to get the money while the getting is good, because when your time is up or you fall out of favor, they will cut you like a Pimp who got shorted his money. I'd say, ummm, 100% of the players who sign large, long term contracts, will be extremely lucky and rare to see even 60% of the value of that contract.

There's also a time to look at your wallet and your situation. If my man was coming up on a contract year, I'd kick his ***** if he called himself sitting or holding out. If a guy is already under contract or you're made a franchise player, you buy up all the insurance you can qualify for, you go out there, play your ***** off and audition for another team and that big contract.

What don't make sense is sitting out training camp, being fined exhorbitant amounts for each day you miss and also missing out on your chance to practice and look good on the field for another team. A player could end up paying over 100K+ for missing training camp. That's a whole lot of shoes and bags money that Mama could use instead of acting a fool and sitting out. While you sitting out, the next dude in line is starting to shine and the GM thinking that this guy can be almost as good and way cheaper.

Plax, get your money, baby!

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

No. It all works out. The more your company makes with the less employees = highest paid employees. It's not rocket science, but if it were: we'd all be overpaid. : )

5. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

In the way that the spending of a person making $40k a year is relative to the spending of a person making $4million a year. That $3 item that Warrick and I bought in America will cost close to $3 in Honduras, if imported. Yeah, locally grown apples (fresh or rotten) will cost less in Honduras, but when you make 47 cents a day, the cost is relatively higher.

6. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Looks like you chose a profession with a lot more competitors than an NFL football player. If the NFL had never panned out, these guys that dedicated their lives to the sport would be in the same shoes as most of us. But, it is a chance they took, and it paid off. There are always those that catch breaks.

I'm not sure if your company offers stock options, but assuming it does, and lets say in 20 years, you get lucky and amass a sum of $10 million through being in the right place at the right time and your company performing well because the product YOU sell turns out to be a household product with limited competition. Does that give everyone else the right to discredit that income you made, because effectively you earned every nickel of it. All the incoming rookies are the benefactors of a sport that has become America's #1 sport by a long shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar