Result in San Diego shouldn't diminish Manning's regular season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Turner
    Pennington
    Brees
    Peterson
    Rivers
    Warner

Manning had an average year by his own standards. He wasn't even the best QB in the league this year, and if you aren't even the best at your position- you don't deserve to be MVP of an entire league.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Sort of like when they wouldn't give Edgerrin James the ball in goal-line situations, so Manning could pass from the 4 yard line 3 times in a row just to get his stupid TD record. (which was broken a couple seasons later by Brady lol)

Add Kurt Warner to my list of more deserving, also.

3. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Kurt Warner's numbers were better than Manning...and who can say that Warner was not just as valuable or critical to Arizona's success as Manning was to the Colts?

So...Manning had 4002 YDS, 27 TD, 12 INT and a rating of 95.0. Warner had 4583 YDS, 30 TD, 14 INT and a rating of 96.9.

Yeah...now I see how much better Manning's year was than anyone else...yeah...BS.

Manning is a media darling...he is covered up in national commercials [gotta admit I like most of them and think he is good at it] and I think the media is just starstruck with the guy. Other guys playing ball this year deserved it more than Manning did...I just find no substance to the justification of Manning this year.

However, I am not a "professional sports journalist" so I clearly don't understand the justification I guess.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

just more PK mancrush jock love for Gayton.

You suck PK!

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=131416#post131416

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

that last comment is just begging a Gayton postseason comparison

7. omahacolt

omahacolt Starter

manning had better stats, won 2 head to head games, and won the division over steve "fragile" mcnair. yet he got a co-mvp

now that was a joke.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yes it was awful McNair having too share the award with such a whinner.

9. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

My problem with MVP voting in any league is the criteria. It seems that each voter has their own. I know what acronym MVP stands for but when most people (i.e. commentators and sports writers) explain their choice they do not vote for the person who is most valuable. Some people vote for the person who has the most stats, some people vote for the person who is more popular. In my opinion the talent level in the NFL is so great that is almost impossible to say that one person of all the players is more valuable than others.

For example, no way the Colts go 12=4 without manning. But on the flip side of that is you could have replaced Manning with Rothlisburger (excuse the spelling), Eli Manning, Delhomne etc. and had similar results. So in the end how valuable is he. Other QBs could have done what Manning did. Usually the person on the best team ends up having the better stats and record. A lot of that is not necessarily due to the player that's collecting the stats but more to the team as whole.

If Rothlisburger had a better O-line he would have had better stats and hence been a candidate for MVP. Not because he himself did anything different.

Look at the Brady/Cassell situation. If Brady was healthy it is quite likely the Pats win the division and make the playoffs. However, Cassell did an excellent job taking over. So it proves that in New England is not so much the player but the team and system.

So how can you give one person credit for what a team of people accomplish without having set criteria?

10. mrredskin

mrredskin Camp Fodder

you can go ahead and throw out turner and pennington. especially pennington. he did a lot worse than manning in the playoff game. turner didn't do too hot himself. how was AP's game? he had one 40 yard carry and that was practically it. Rivers' team went 8-8 in the West. That says enough. Brees didn't come close to the playoffs. Warner is the only other argument you have

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar