Report: Titans about to walk on Finny

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dtm586, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

BINGO.

You don't pay elite CB money to a guy who plays in the slot, and doesn't even cover #1 WRs. When he does, he doesn't shut down #1 WRs. Cortland is an above average corner, but he's not elite... so don't pay him elite money. I'll miss him to death, but he's simply not worth the price tag.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

^That'd all be great if any of it were true. Truth is, he can, and does shut down #1 receivers any time he lines up on them.

Truth is- QBs avoid throwing the ball to whatever side of the field he's on.

Truth is- all this will be known by mid-season when we're getting absolutely torched thinking our mediocre DBs have a chance out there without Finnegan.

You don't let your top 10 (league) CB walk without having a damned good backup plan. Well, unless you're the Titans.

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

How many people have to list 10 better CB's for you over and over again? Finnegan is barely a top 15 corner.

4. Deuce Wayne

He's clearly top 10.

No question.

And I haven't seen any lists, but I bet they suck and are ESPN "playmaker" generated.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

While you can make a case for that list, and it is a good one, has anyone taken into account the receivers the other guys covered?

Cortland has only played against, probably the best receiver in the NFL the past few years, and Peyton throwing to Wayne. That can easily skew your numbers. Cortland is no slouch thats for sure.

6. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Look a little harder...I've seen Fry, Ravensshallburn and a few others post them throughout this forum.

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Finny is a solid player and I wanted us to keep him. I do not think that his onfield skills are irreplaceable. We can easily find a NB and you don't pay your NB franchise money. Personally I saw Finny as much more than a NB. In todays NFL you need 3 starting quality CBs. So I would certainly pay him starting CB money. I also value him as a leader on and off the field and think that that is worth something. So I would pay him very close to top end CB money due to a combination of skill and good intangibles that he brings to the team.

If we use the 10mil to truely upgrade the front 4 then it probably is money better spent because a ferocious front 4 improves the whole secondary.

If we count on improving the pass rush merely via the draft then our secondary will get eaten alive.

8. Keeferdog

Keeferdog Starter

Come on Deuce....We all watch the same game you watch. Finnegan does not shut down anyone. He plays well but he is not a shutdown corner worth 10 mil per year. In the early 2000's when we had our best teams, it was because we stopped the run and put pressure on the QB. We ran the ball well and controlled the clock. I still believe this is the philosophy that will get us back to the Super Bowl.

Are you going to complain when we put our money towards defensive and offensive lineman? If so, then you don't know what wins football games!

9. Deuce Wayne

That's funny considering I'm the one (and one of the very few) that petitioned to keep Mawae... and we see how that worked.

Finnegan is top 10. End of it. But it goes WAY deeper than that. Not one other player on this team has his heart or plays with the same intensity. He loves the game. He never quits. That's more than I can say for about 9 out of our starting 11 players on D.

You don't let leaders in their prime that are top 10 in the L just because you don't want to pay up. We did that with Mawae. What happened?

This 2ndary isn't near good enough to afford the loss of Finnegan. And with no pass rush? You'd better find a way to pay the man or else it's going to cost Jerry Gray his job.

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I actually decided to make a list, and here's how I rate them:

1. Darrell Revis
    2. N Asomugha
    3. Charles Woodson
    4. Champ Bailey
    5. Tramon Williams
    6. Asante Samuel
    7. Jon Joseph
    8. Brandon Flowers
    9. Joe Haden
    10. Leon Hall
    11. Cortland Finnegan
    12. Carlos Rogers
    13. Corey Webster
    14. Drayton Florence

I agree and disagree with DW. Cortland does not "shut down" opposing #1s. We all watch the game, and he doesn't put them on Revis Island or whatever and take receivers out of the game. That doesn't happen. QBs don't throw the opposite direction because of Finnegan being there. I'm not saying Cortland isn't good, just saying they do that to elite CBs, and Finnegan isn't an elite corner.

However, McCourty and Verner likely will not replace Finnegan no problem like we think. Cortland will be a huge loss, and will not be EZ to fill. His toughness and leadership will be something that can't be replaced easily.

I still do not think he's worth elite CB money (10+M), I do think he's worth 6-12 range CB money (6-8 M+/yr).

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar