Reinfeldt and Fisher on WR trade possibilities

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky Maybe Detroit will try to move Roy Williams, maybe it won't.
    Titans fans have flooded the mailbag with questions about whether Tennessee could get him, and my case for why they won't -- the price will be too steep, things are going very well and they don't want to shake them up, they aren't as convinced they need him as you are -- hasn't quashed all the desirous speculation.
    So I searched out general manager Mike Reinfeldt and coach Jeff Fisher on the possibility of trading for a receiver. Here is my dialogue with each of them.
    Reinfeldt:
    PK: Perception is that one or two receivers in the final year of their deals with bad teams are being shopped. Would you consider a blockbuster to get one?
    MR: The trade deadline is after the sixth game. I think you always have to look at different scenarios, at least consider different scenarios. At this point in time, there is nothing that we're contemplating.
    PK: Say you made a major move. How hard would it be to weave a new guy in considering the team success right now?
    MR: Yeah, it's a complicated ordeal. You're bringing somebody in, shoot, six games into the season. You've also missed the whole preseason, so you've actually missed almost half the season. Plus there are the salary constraints, you've got to be able to absorb his salary. It's a complicated issue.
    PK: Plus a big-time player would cost you a big-time pick. Fair to say you're not anxious to give up a No. 1 pick?
    MR: First-rounders are important. Obviously with Chris [Johnson] and Michael [Griffin] you can see that we've got guys that can impact you for a long time. So when you do it [deal a first-round pick], you better do it carefully.
    PK: So you wouldn't easily give one up?
    MR: [Laughing] We wouldn't easily give it away, yes.
    Fisher:
    PK: Lots of people are thinking you're on the verge of a blockbuster trade for a receiver that will throw you over the top. Anything to it?
    JF: No. We've had no trade discussions with anybody as far as I know.
    PK: If you brought one in, how hard would it be to get instant production?
    JF: First off, someone's got to be willing to deal a good player. I mean you're not going to give up a pick at this point in the season for somebody that you don't think is going to have a significant impact. If there is a player out there, if you've got a seller-and-a-buyer situation that works for each other, then I could see it happening. But it's rare nowadays that teams would give up players.
    PK: So you don't anticipate being a buyer?
    JF: We're no different than anybody else. Everybody is interested in good players. Finding the seller is the hard part.
    PK: I don't imagine you're real interested in giving up a first, either?
    JF: Yeah, that's a little extreme.

More...

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

should have made a move for chris chambers last year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

we'll just have to hope for a draft pick.

5. titansfan4eva24

titansfan4eva24 VY 4 Life

I don't think that they would come out and say they were shopping for one. Just because they say one thing, does not mean they wont do it

6. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

They always say one thing and do the other. But in this case, I think they'll stick to their guns.

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Mid-season trades of any significance rarely happen in the NFL. When it comes to the Titans' historically conservative front office, the chances are downright miniscule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar