Regular Season game in London

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by LazyManJackson, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah but would NFL players actually comepte

2. Yep, exactly true, that is what i have been saying. For the game, both teams will have to have a bye week after the game.

3. I'm just gonna give you guys more details on this Wembely game

After the NFL invited cities to bid on it and London won, Alistair Kirkwood (who is vice prezident of NFL europe) said it had a realistic possibility of going ahead and then reiterated that at half time at the probowl as he was on Sky Sports who were covering the Super Bowl, saying that there was an 80-85% chance of it going ahead, that they were looking at two match ups from the AFC in week 3-4, one involving two Superbowl contenders, and one was a match up that would "be very good".

These two teams would have to have a bye week after that game, and these two teams will probably be from the east coast becasue of the distance. Apparently the owners and commissioner are in agreement on the idea.

And right now everything is being finalized and planned out so....

Bring On Wembely:jump:

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I'm happy for you and all the european types whose crank is turned by this idea. Honestly, it's cool that you are fired up at the idea. Still, it's not a good idea and a majority of NFL fans will see it that way.

5. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Late here, but back to topic:
    The Mexico City thing was a flop, from what I understand....bad teams, dull game. And the home towns of the teams felt like they were screwed because their stadium was empty on a Sunday when it shouldn't have been.

If the NFL wants to attract more fans, maybe they should address some current internal problems first. I've met a few disgruntled former fans who just quit following it due to percieved referee bias and wussified rule changes.
    What made NFL so popular so quickly in the early days? What are they doing differently now?

6. maximus

maximus Starter

That would mean that the game would probably invovle Pittsburg.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Again Americans only thinking of American fans (no offence avvie). The Mexico game was, afaik, a success in Mexico. But of course it didn't do anything for the American fans, but of course it wasn't supposed to.

Likewise, a game in Europe is not to benefit the American fans, but the European fans.

Whatever problems the NFL have with fans at home have nothing to do with playing games abroad. I certainly seriously doubt anyone abandoned the NFL because of the Mexico game.

8. Nine

Nine Starter

FWIW: we hosted a couple of German exchange students last year...they told us that in Germany, pretty much everyone knows about the NFLE, but very few people know anything about the game itself, so the interest is minimal.

One of them had even been to a couple of games, and said he enjoyed the atmostphere, but it was hard to stay interested when he knew absolutely nothing about even the most fundamental aspects of the game.

If the NFL wants football to work outside of the United States, they're going to have to do a better job of educating people about the game itself. They appear to be taking the approach of "If you build it, they will come". But the reality of the situation is this: "If you build it, but nobody understands it, then nobody is going to care."

Also, let's not forget that football was hardly an overnight sensation in America. Teams formed and folded on an almost weekly basis for years, and it was twenty or so years before the game had any semblance of true stability. In fact, it took about thirty years for America to truly embrace football as a respectable national pastime....and that was in the game's own homeland. I just don't know that the NFL is willing to sink that kind of time and effort into establishing an international fanbase.

9. In under 2 weeks Alister Kirkwood will have an official statement about the Wembely game, this is official and not opinion.

10. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Who is Alister Kirkwood?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar