Reese: Deja vu?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by royhobbs, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

In the 1995 Draft, I believe Reese's first draft for the then Oilers as GM, he had a decision to make....Steve McNair or Kerry Collins. Looking back, he made the correct choice selecting McNair. At the time, when questioned on the decision, he gave an answer that went something like ....what it came down to was could Steve do what Kerry did at Penn State if given that opportunity....in Reese's mind, the answer was Yes. On the other hand, could Collins do what Steve did at Alcorn State....to Floyd, that answer was No.

This year, there is a similar scenario taking shape with Young and Leinart. If 1995 is any indication, he has to be leaning toward Young. In addition, in subsequent drafts, he has continually gone after the size-speed "freaks"....with mixed results....Kearse, Troupe, Woolfork, Calico, to name a few. Young is this year's "Freak"....a 6-5 Michael Vick with great leadership skills and potential to be developed. Leinart, on the other hand, is more ready to step in today (like Collins was) and may be as good as he is ever going to be.....however, his lack of athleticism, arm strength and that knee brace he wears all leave me weary. In addition, there is something else. The fact that he chose to stay at USC for his senior year (when he was all but a lock to be the #1 pick and stay in CA with the 49ers)makes me wonder how much he wants to be in the NFL....I question his desire. Alot of people will admire him for staying in school, but let's remember, he took one dance class this year. Hardly a guy busting his @$$ for his degree. Reality is, he didn't want to give up being the big man on USC's campus before he absolutely had to.

Football is obviously important to Young.....Bottom line, IMO, could Young have led USC to the national title....Yes! Could Leinart have led Texas to it.....I don't think so!

2. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Actually, I think he was way ahead of schedule to graduate and that was the only class he had left to take. iirc

3. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

That's not the point.....he could have finished his degree by taking the dance class over the summer or in some other offseason. Besides, he must have redshirted as a true freshman. If that is the case, I wouldn't say he was way ahead.

4. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

Actually.... the decision was between Steve McNair or Kevin Carter ( DE, Florida ). Collins wasn't considered outside of evaluation.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I'm not sure who we are talking about, and who didn't take the dance class, but Young would have been in his 5th year had he stayed. No point to it. I think any football player who can come one class from graduating deserves some respect as it is quite an achivement just to get through college (even with tutors and cheating) plus play football. So not sure if we are holding that against anyone here, but I don't think we should.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Vince Young wasnt going to his 5th season. He was still a junior, he declared eligable after the Rose Bowl.

Leinart was in his 5th year.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Very interesting comment.

I totally agree that Reese has been prone to go with the pick with the most upside in the past. I think much of that was due to where the Titans were picking. They also had a solid nucleus on the team as well and less was expected of these picks as they had a couple of years to develop. So I do see this as a different situation from the Kearse, Woolfolk, Troupe picks here.

To your point about taking McNair over Collins, Reese still may feel the same way though I don't think Collins brought in the credentials Leinart does. Also, I don't think Reese will have a choice. One will likely be taken at #2. I think Reese's big decision is whether to take who remains or use the pick to trade out.

Here's a prediction: If Reese takes the second QB, he'll say he had him ranked equal or above the other no matter who it is. ;)

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree Jeff, we will not have a choice between the two and whoever we end up Reese will say that was the one he wanted anyway.

This non-sense about Lienart staying in school because he doesn't care about football makes no sense. I remember Manning staying at UT and his reasons were simply playing college ball is fun and that experience is worth savoring while you can. Once you leave college football becomes a profession. Can anyone fault Leinart for staying an extra year with all the talent around him? Getting to make another run at a championship and enjoying the college experience makes perfect sense to me. If a college player isn't pressed to earn an income why not stay and enjoy the once in a lifetime experience?

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I am pretty confident Young Redshirted and played 3 years. I think a lot of people don't realize that. Which would have him going into his 5th year.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you're right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar