Reese article on GM/coach relationships

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

No way you can make an informed judgment on Reinfeldt after one season.

But we do know Reese didn't have much success with any of his first two round picks since '02.

Look at this list taken in the first two rounds form '02 to '05:
    '02 - Tank Williams
    '03 - Andre Woolfolk
    '03 - Tyrone Calico
    '04 - Ben Troupe
    '04 - Antwan Odom
    '04 - Travis LaBoy
    '05 - Pacman Jones

I think it's too early to make the call on the '06 picks. But you have only Albert Haynesworth and Michael Roos as quality players he drafted in the first two rounds. And Haynesworth had been inconsistent for most of his career up to last season.

Blame some of it on injury but that's a horrible stretch of picks. And I haven't seen anyone except ESPN give him an interview.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Other than Woolfolk, every one of those guys were solid except for the ones plagued with injuries. I hope you accidentally put Pacman on there.
    MR has had 2 seasons. And has already drafted more busts/reaches than Reese did his entire time here.

3. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

It's been a year, and no years, for his 2 draft classes. Sure, it's more likely that George Bush will be a success than Chris Henry, but there is a chance. :lol: Still, it's much too early to judge either draft class as of now.

4. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

YOU think EVERY pick is a reach, so your analysis of MR doesn't really matter or make sense.

By the way, who are all these busts that you speak of?

5. Deuce Wayne

When everyone is baffled at every pick you make. (Experts, fans, your own players) - you reached. Simple as that.
    Every player we took last year we could have gotten 1 round later. Every player we took this year, we could have gotten 1 round later. (some even 2 rounds later)
    So how are they not reaches?
    Michael Griffin (solid pick, but could have traded down to get him, easily.)
    Joel Filani (already cut)
    Paul Williams (cut here soon)
    Chris Henry (4th best back on the team now)
    Leroy Harris (who is that?)
    Antonio Johnson (who knows. Could pan out)

Chris Johnson (i see as this year's griffin. Good player - easily could have gotten him in the 2nd though)
    Jason Jones (baffled everyone)
    Craig Stevens (drafted to be an OK player. Again, could have traded down. )
    William Hayes (was this the guy scheduled to be undrafted?)

And the rest were ok picks. But so far he's been terrible. Floyd drafted better players in 1 round than this guy has in 2 classes.

then...

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

He had one all-star season here, the rookie year was average, and then he couldn't play for a season. You can argue the player is good, but the draft pick definately didn't work out for us (the Titans).

As far as Floyd, to me he committed sins against the franchise. The McNair fiasco is the main thing, but it really all started with his handling of Godfrey. A little dramatic, but that's my lasting opinion of Reese. I think he damaged the way players feel about our organization.

Like Stallworth last year didn't sign here, for less money, to play with the Patriots. I'm sure a big part of that was going for a championship and getting national exposure. And that Brady is a top 3 and Vince isn't. But I think it factors at least a little if an organization is known to not take care of its players.

To me, if MR fails as a GM, but doesn't cause a negative national incident, then I won't feel as bad about him as I do about Reese. So far, I've lost confidence in the direction this offseason. And Reese is ok on ESPN i think.

7. Alex1939

I dunno, he could turn out to be a longterm badass starter for years. I'm really excited about our safety combination this next season. COULD be the best first round pick in years. I didn't get to watch last year's draft live, I knew Griffin was kind of a headscratcher, but I was psyched when I heard because I knew Lamont Thompson wasn't going to start anymore regardless of the "play him at CB" rhetoric.

Do most people really think he would've been available in round 2? I never got that impression.

Isn't he competing for the starting Left Guard spot, and the hopeful longterm C replacement?

8. Deuce Wayne

the mcnair fiasco was mcnair's fault. And his agents. What part of that did Floyd affect?

The guy wasn't good at managing money, but he was good at getting us talent. MR sucks at getting us talent, but is good at managing money. I'd rather drive the Mercedes and scrape by on payments than drive the Kia and have enough money for cruising.

9. Alex1939

Floyd's fault for not knowing that was going to happen, and mainly for not handling the situation sooner. Trade him sooner, or get the 1 year deal done. Don't let it get to that point.

I don't worry too much because I'm pretty sure Bud wants to win a superbowl SOON. Like, in his lifetime.

If the team doesn't produce, I don't think MR will be around as long as Floyd.

I do agree, we are being too cheap right now. There is a way to manage the cap. Floyd went overboard damaging future seasons. MR is near the polar opposite, underspending to ensure that doesn't happen again. I'll be interested to see how we spend the $20 million or so left in cap room, hopefully some of these supposive longterm signings get done.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

really?

reggie nelson went two picks after griffin and brandon meriweather went at 24. depending on how teams have their boards stacked, it's pretty reasonably to think he would not have been there.

plus, griffin played better than both of those guys this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar