Redskins vs. Titans Postgame Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by eberry, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

This is what I thought of the game. I already posted it on the Jags' board.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Titans' defensive line. That was our biggest weakness going into this season. They were stifling last night. Collins was OK, but he didn't seem to have any faith in the OL. He seemed to be trying to force passes, even when the pocket was solid, and I don't recall him throwing one deep pass last night. Ratay looked terrible IMO. He threw some deep passes, but did so with Dick Cheney's gun firing accuracy. He also looked very timid in the pocket.

Chris Henry looks like he really wants to start. Splitting time with three other backs, he accumulated 42 yards. Personally, I thought the O-Line did pretty good. White and Brown, however, had no burst, and couldn't break tackles. Henry on the other hand, had plenty of burst, would break two or three tackles a play, push piles backwards, and was really a load to bring down. Not only that, his pass blocking was awesome last night. Fisher had recently said that the starting RB position is between White and Brown, but while Henry was on the field making plays, Fisher had the most perplexed look on his face. I think Henry's back in the mix.

The secondary looked pretty good until the 3rd stringers were in there. The Titans hosted a shutout up until that last couple minutes of the game. Harper, Finnegan, and King were all making plays. Michael Griffin, however, didn't look comfortable as a corner. I think he needs to be moved back to safety, ASAP.

As far as the passing game goes, Jones and Roby made some grabs, but Scaife was the highlight. You couldn't even tell Moulds was on the field until his sure hands dropped a short pass. Moulds seemed to be just as disappointed as I was. Maybe next week will be a better outing for the receivers with Young in the huddle.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I guess Schwartz didn't want to be outshone by Williams.

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I think you have to remember one other thing too. Even last year, the offense played horribly without Vince. I don't whether it is because teams respect him more, or because of his running ability, or if it's just because Vince is that much of a leader, but when Vince is in, every single part of this team gets better. I remember watching him play against San Diego last year, and you could actually SEE the team play better when he's in. He just has that effect on this team, and him not playing really hurt the offense last night.

So I guess what I'm saying is the offense looked bad, but I'm not going to worry about it unless they look bad with Vince in. And I don't see that happening.....

4. Didn't i tell yall about Chris Henry he is a beast. I don't wanna hear that, yea it was against a weak defense. BS, He broke tackles, had burst to him. Lendale white got hit back 3 yards everytime he touched the ball. He wasn't trying. If Chris Brown or Lendale white think they have the job already they better think again. Chris Henry had 42 yards rushing with like 6 broken tackles. Also i think that was against their 2nd string defense, because much like the titans 1st team played till half time.

I also liked Herdon he had a nice break up and was in on a corner biltz that worked. Cortland Finnegan did very well returning punts, Our d-line was a beast. Tony Brown and Antwan Odom. Donnie Nickey also had a hard hit on randle el i think, it was ruled not a catch, but it clearly was a fumble. That back up punter did a good job, he was booming the balls. It was Griffin's first game at corner cut the guy slack. Eric King did very well. Didn't yall notice this LESS penaltys for our offense. The best part was NO Injuries!!! I give the titans Offense C+ Defense- A

Don't worry about the loss. We won this game, it was our 3rd string defense that lost it not 1st.

5. moose4now

moose4now Starter

And, needs more than one game, at a new position, in a new league before he's moved again. :rolleyes:

Give him time.

He'll be fine.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I was very pleased last night with the secondary and the d-line. Those units looked very deep. Linebacking appeared disappointing last night, especially the MLB, but I'm not worried about Bulluck and Thornton. Tulloch had me laughing when he and Griffin were fighting over the fumble recovery ("I will make one play").

Tony Brown...I just hope he plays like that during the season. What a great pickup he has been. I know it's been said before, but the guy is a playmaker. It must have been a big deal for him to be named a captain last night. That says a lot about the faith the coaches have in him.

Sean Conover had a very good game. It was good he made a case for himself. Winkler as well, but he's guaranteed a PS spot anyway. Did Jacob Ford play? I didn't see him if he did, but my DVR cut me off with several minutes left in the fourth (must remember to extend recording time...I do this every year at first).

Cortland Finnegan should be starting on the outside come opening day. He has value all over the field. Harper...did anyone else question why he left rather early, by comparison to the other 1st stringers? I mostly remember: one bad play, one or two good plays, then gone. Makes me think there could be a lot of rotating at the CB position. Harper starts, gives way to Hill periodically, Finnegan starts, gives way to Griffin or King, Fuller starts NB, gives way to King and Herndon, etc.

By the way, I think we have one of the most physical secondaries going on at the moment. It's really good to see. Hopefully, Schwartz keeps blitzing and the guys keep laying wood.

Griffin's experience at CB will be valuable, but Jeff should move him back to safety now. I think we can go lighter on secondary players if he does that, and we can preserve some roster spots elsewhere. I would keep Hope, Griffin, Fuller, Lowry, Thompson and Nickey. They won't go in that without that one veteran, but I'd bury Thompson. After last night, I might even consider playing Hope and Nickey. I was surprised Nickey was on the field so early, but he did alright. I think he wants to make a case for himself besides getting attention fighting with VY. Eh, I'd just cut Thompson out of that bunch. I see us keeping 11 DBs.

Harper, Finnegan, Hill, King, Herndon, Griffin

Hope, Fuller, Lowry, Thompson, Nickey

Hopefully the coaches see Griffin is not an overall asset at the CB position at the moment, but I expect they'll keep playing him all preseason long. He should get one look at safety at least during a preseason game, I feel. He'd be too much of a liability at CB in a real game. Move Griffin, cut Thompson. Nickey is just too valuable. :ha: :grrhee:

Is it me, or is Gilbert Gardner the Lamont Thompson of linebackers? :yes:

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Please add the Vince Young flavor to the Kook-Aid now, please.

8. Hey why ya worring about our o-line when it wasn't them who were the problem. They did a job at picking up the biltz and they allowed no SACKS. even with KFC back there. It was just that Chris Brown and Lendale weren't trying to hit the hole hard. It looked like they were fearing injury. Chris Henry ran through people, my gosh I thought that guy was dead after I saw him on the ground. Let Chris Henry start next week with our 1st stringers and see what happens.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I expect he'll be ready sometime between games 6 and 10.

I'm not really wanting to be patient enough for that.

I'd rather see a rotation of Harper, Finnegan and Hill on the outside.

I hope I'm proven wrong sooner than later.

10. Chris Henry's new nickname The Mack Truck!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar